× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moving drives

Clarkson
Aspirant

Moving drives

Hi would this work.

As previously posted. I now have an rn312 . I also have a duo v1 with 2 bt drives.

1 . Put in a single spare 500 gig unused drive into the 312 .

2. Copy all files across the network from my duo to the 312 .

3. Remove 1 2tb drive from the duo to the 312 and allow to reformat to x86 and leave in xraid to copy the 500gig drive.

4. Replace the 500 gig drive in 312 with the second 2tb drive from duo reformat to x86 and copy first drive.

In theory I now have my data on the 2 tb drives running sweet on the 312.

Now tell me why this won't work. And if it does what I will need to do in practice to make it happen.

Cheers

John
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That should work. However you might need to connect the 2TB disks up to a PC and delete the partitions off them before putting them in the RN312.
Message 2 of 16
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Would it be possible to:
1) backup to the 500GB drive for safety
2) remove one 2TB drive from the Duo and insert it to the RN312
3) copy the files from Duo to RN312
4) move the second 2TB drive and let xraid do it's stuff

Benefit, you always have the 500GB drive as a backup throughout the process.
Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You are assuming that the backup will fit in 500 GB.

But you are correct in thinking that having a full backup is a good idea, especially if you are pulling drives from the duo.
Message 4 of 16
Clarkson
Aspirant

Hi
Yes will fit its only 100 gig at minute.

So you don't think the 312 will clean up the drives by itself?

Was hoping just to swap the drives over .

John
Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The RN312 will wipe the duo drives when you insert them. Your process should handle any single-disk failure in the transfer, since you are preserving 2 copies throughout.

aks' process also does that, though if the backup is NTFS, then you can also read the backup directly from your PC.

Either should work., though I think aks' approach is slightly cleaner. You end up with two 500 GB raid layers (since you start with a 500 GB drive). The users never see that, but it is a bit less tidy.
Message 6 of 16
jrc72
Aspirant

Howdy everyone,

Hope your 2014 beginning was a good one.

So here goes, I have Netgear shipping me a complete new chassis for my NAS 600e due a system fan failure and I am in need to remove my 6 hdds from existing chassis and placing them into the new chassis and keep all my data.

I have not done this yet and am a spin as to if this will work 100% and reclaim my data upon bootup. What directions am I in need to accomplish to successfully complete this procedure please.
Message 7 of 16
xeltros
Apprentice

Since Netgear is sending a replacement, the simplest thing is to do it with them. I'm sure they can confirm the procedure and you would know what they send you has been tested.

I never did such a procedure but :
=> I would not plug any disk on a powered system this could be interpreted as raid failure and wipe the disks.
=> I would plug them in the same order they are .

Since the system is on the disks I believe this would boot up with no problem. However I don't know if Netgear will send you a unit with the same OS version on the flash, so I'm concerned of what will happen if you have to do an OS reinstall before the next update.
Maybe others can provide more useful comments and share experience.
Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The very first thing to confirm (before migrating disks) is that the new chassis is in the same family. Otherwise your disks will be wiped no matter how you do it. So if the model number is different, you might confirm here. Also, you are likely getting a refurbished chassis, not something brand new. So look it over carefully. Perhaps run the fron panel memory diag.

You should boot up the new unit with a scratch disk first, and then manually install the same firmware you are using on old version. If the firmware version differs from the NAS flash, the NAS will reinstall the firmware. The scratch disk install also confirms the new NAS is functional. After you are done with the scratch disk, shut down the NAS and migrate all the disks (preserving the slot order).

If you don't have a backup, you should address that as soon as possible.
Message 9 of 16
jrc72
Aspirant

Re: Moving drives Pro Pioneer 600e

Ok, well

1st: my post is related to the Pro Pioneer 600e ( RNDP600e ),
2nd: I am not replacing a failed disk, I am replacing the entire NAS unit, bar the disks ( all because of a failed System Fan worth $20 ),
3rd: the unit being sent out is not a refurbished unit as clarified by Netgear ( yup surprised me also, so coolness to the highest degree for Netgear ),
4th: I have 10TB of data to backup so 500gig or 2tb suggestions won't work ( I wish but no dice ), I am putting either a tape system or another NAS in as a backup to the NAS, thanks though StephenB for that suggestion,
5th: I have updated the existing unit to latest firmware and intend on placing a 1TB hdd into the replacement unit and upgrading its firmware to the latest firmware before I even attempt to install the original 6 hdds - as per StephenB's post,
6th: I will not be doing a hot install, all hdds will be installed under full cold environment to avoid the formatting debacle ( I hope anyways lol ) as per xeltrox's post,
7th: I will be making contact with Netgear for clarification before I even attempt to insert my current hdd's with data on them into the new replacement chassis. I have replaced failed drives with no issues, however removing all drives at once and inserting into another unit all at once has not been done by myself and from my past readings have found the NAS box wipes the drives ( not at all good, NAS need to have this option upon bootup I think added to their OS:- Are you installing a NEW Chassis with your OLD existing drives Y/N )
8th: ALL 6 hdd's will be installed into the same corresponding bays as they are removed from, eg bay 1 to bay 1, bay 2 to bay 2 and so on, at ONE time then doing a power up after all 6 are inserted, otherwise wiping will ensue ( again bad ),
9th: crosses fingers lol
Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

On (1), as long as you are getting a Pro-6 or ultra-6 of some sort (e.g., and x86 NAS running 4.2.x firmware), you can migrate. But you won't be able to migrate if they send you an RN316 or and RN516.

On (7) the NAS will wipe the drives on a cold boot if it doesn't think they are formatted for it. But if the drives are formatted for that ReadyNAS family (4.2.x firmware in this case), then it shouldn't wipe the drives on a cold boot.

I still suggest making sure you install whatever firmware you were running on the old 600e (using the scratch disk method) into the new unit's flash before attempting to migrate your drives. Otherwise, it will attempt to upgrade/downgrade the firmware on the disks to match what is in the flash.
Message 11 of 16
jrc72
Aspirant

Ok here it is for those that would like to know for reference material.

As StephenB said IF the NEW chassis is EXACTLY the same model as the OLD chassis ( example 600e for a 600e as in my case ) then simply do the following:

Before doing this make sure that the rocker switch on the back of the NAS units is switched to the OFF position, this way when you plug the new chassis in it will not automatically boot on you, you first need to physically toggle this rocker switch to the ON position - remember the NAS will automatically boot immediately you plug in the power cord if you leave this rocker switch in the ON position.

1. OLD chassis: try and gather as much information about your old chassis as you can if it is alive, particularly the firmware - mine was upgraded to 4.2.25 recently, power down and switch it OFF with the rocker power switch on the rear
2. NEW chassis: Make sure rear rocker power switch is OFF: insert a hdd ( not one that forms a part of the original NAS hdd volume ) just a spare that you have laying around will do fine - all data will be erased of this hdd
3. NEW chassis: Plug in power cable and network cable, turn rear rocker power switch ON: perform firmware update to the same firmware as on the old chassis - in my case 4.2.25
4. shutdown and switch OFF the rear rocker switch, UNPLUG the NEW chassis cables,
5. remove ONE hdd at a time and transfer from OLD chassis bay 1 to NEW chassis bay 1, old cb 2 to new cb 2, old cb 3 to new cb 3, old cb 4 to new cb 4, old cb 5 to new cb 5 and old cb 6 to new cb 6 - ( cb = chassis bay ) I did the entire 6 chassis bays to make it easier for people to read and understand for their reference.
6. place in position, Make sure rear rocker power switch is OFF, connect network cable and power cable and turn rear rocker switch ON, NAS should automatically boot
7. Cross fingers and toes 🙂

Please note: when I first powered up the new chassis with my temp hdd it produced an error for me: could not mount root raid d I needed to load up the boot menu via the rear pin hole, scroll through the menu to Restore Factory Defaults then finished off the temp drive firmware upgrade. Not sure as to why this occurred for me but this is all I did and things so far appear to be working.

I need to spend the next 4 days checking the new chassis out before I send my old chassis back to Netgear before they charge my credit card for this new chassis. Good luck to all that need to move original NAS volume drives over to another chassis of same model, it works as we think.

As for a different chassis eg RN316 to a 600e then I would assume this to be a lot more complicated as new volumes would need to be created hence your hdd's requiring a format and data loss and huge headaches.

Thanks to those that responded am eternally grateful and oh so love Netgear 5 yr warranty.... all for sake of a $20 fan I got an entirely new chassis, not a refurbished as we would have thought, swwwweeeeeeeeeettt lol
Message 12 of 16
Clarkson
Aspirant

Hi all
Stephen if your there today is dday. I have done a slightly different way. As aks suggested I have copied all data to the 500gig drive. This is now a spare master copy of all data. On USB 2 took 40 hours lol

I have decded to do some much needed house keeping so I have also copied all data to my laptop which is 1 tb. Much of this is already on there as it is the origin of the data and has the originals.

I am now going to run a duplicate/similar file software to clear all copies. Remember I still have the master.

I am going to run the 2x2tb straight into the the 312 and let it reformat. Etc. I will then do some setting up ie ready nas photos plenty of shares to divide the data up and send the files back piecemeal .

My question is if I plug in the 312 and physically put in the drives is that it will it do the rest. Or is there a prompt I need to do in front veiw or readycloud.

Cheers

John
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

If you plug in the drives and start it up, it should reformat, and create an xraid2 array with 2 TB of space.

You can then log into the web ui, and complete the setup.

But you might consider installing 6.1.6 beta, and then doing another factory reset. Netgear has changed the btrfs filesystem settings some, and you might as well start with their latest settings (which requires a factory reset).

You can set up readycloud after the initial setup. You will likely find that the "discovery" process doesn't work, but in fact you don't need that.
Message 14 of 16
Clarkson
Aspirant

Hi
Well it's all going rather badly to be honest.

I have put the spare 500 gig in bay 2 of the duo expecting this to back up disk 1 of the 2 tb disks . It's doing something but it's been 4 hours now , would have thought. It would have finished. I have number two led flashing green so it could just be taking awhile.

My big concern it number two 2tb disk is now in bay 2 of the 312 and I think I have killed it. Slow flashing led in yellow
And front veiw won't even let me in to see what's happening. I suspect it hasn't reformatted the disk as hoped so can't even see it.

Any ideas.

Cheers

John
Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Inserting second drive should have resulted in the NAS creating a RAID-1 array. This array mirrors the two drives, and is quite different from a back up.

I suggest contacting support.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements