× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Moving from Duo to NV+

Webagents
Aspirant

Moving from Duo to NV+

I've just bought a diskless 2nd hand nv+ to replace my duo as my data store.

Now I need to work out the SAFEST way of moving over. :shock:

Currently:

Duo with 2 x 2TB drives in a mirror holding 810 GB of data (most critical)
1 x 2TB drive - not installed anywhere holding approx. 1TB data (can't remember what format but probably NTFS or FAT32)
1 x 2TB drive - in usb/esata enclosure so formatted NTFS iirc holding approx 2TB data
1 x 2TB drive - brand new in box

Desired:
NV+ with 4 x 2TB drives in X-raid (raid 5?) holding ALL 3.81 TB of data
DUO with 2 x 2TB drives in JBOD or Raid 0 (if duo supports this - or two 2TB volumes if not) for backing up my NV+

Concerns:
Too much data on NV+ to fit on DUO
(Do some housekeeping to reduce data, Don't backup non critical data, compress backups)??

No redundancy on DUO
(Acceptable as if it fails I should be okay until I get a replacement drive)??

Given the above, how would YOU suggest I go about moving the data around to get what I want?
Please remember that the SAFETY of the data is of course paramount so I am guessing that it would be best to copy the data across nas's rather than swap the disks - but I await your suggestions 😄

Oh, and please feel free to point out anything I've missed or extra concerns you would have 😎

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
Webagents
Aspirant

BTW, I know I'm already one disk short of the desired config - I expect to buy that :wink:

I can also buy another drive (so 2 extra 2TB drives in total) if needed, or if it makes things a lot easier.

AND whilst I called the end config the DESIRED end result in my original post - I'm more than happy for you to pull my suggestion to bits and offer alternative configs with reasons why 😄 😎

Thanks
Message 2 of 3
Webagents
Aspirant

Nobody have any thought on this? :cry:
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation