× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving to 2TB drives

bjoli
Follower

Moving to 2TB drives

Currently I'm using 1TB disks in my ReadyNAS NV. As always, it's slowly running out of space 🙂
Since the unit shut itself down this weekend because it detected a disk failure (it resynced and seems to be working again now), I decided to replace the disks immediately and increase the capacity at the same time.

I'm going to get a few Samsung 2TB drives from the HCL. After reading the forum it seems I would need to do a complete reset of my unit if I use 2TB disks. First of all: do I really have to? Just trying to save me hours of copying data and doing setup here.

If a reset is inevitable what would be the best approach? Do I need to go through the normal expansion replacing each disk (I've done this before) and then do the reset or should I just pull out the old drives and start over with the new ones? I'm not sure if the firmware would be OK in the latter case. Is there a way to export my configuration (users, network setup, ...) and re-use it after a reset?
Message 1 of 2
nbcrockett
Aspirant

Re: Moving to 2TB drives

I'm doing this right now with my ReadyNAS 1000S. From my research you'll need to do a complete reinstall if you were using Flex-RAID instead of X-RAID. Otherwise you might be able to swap the drives out one by one. I had to start from scratch so I'm unsure. You'll also want to update your firmware to version 4.1.7. This will allow the NAS to have 4K sectors instead of 512 byte sectors on the hard drives. However, if your not already using 4K sectors it's my understanding that you'll need to start from scratch otherwise it will keep using 512 byte sectors. You can create a config backup under System/Config Backup in the Frontview interface. If you haven't already updated your firmware you might want to make a config backup then update your firmware and then create another config backup before you do the hard drive upgrade. Once I swapped out my hard drives and got Frontview reinstalled I was able to restore my previous config easily. I'm still getting all my hard drives online because I started the process with only one new drive, but at this point it should be a matter of time. I went from 4x250GB drives in a Flex-RAID config to 4x2TB drives in a X-RAID config.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements