× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multi-Gig support for RN214 and RAX120

Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

Multi-Gig support for RN214 and RAX120

I have a RAX120 and RN214.  Can I enable Multi-Gig support for my RN214 from my RAX120?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router, RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

I received the following response from Level 2 Technical Support:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the solution you propose, it would be irresponsible for Netgear to tell you that if it works and this has not been previously tested.

I've done some research, but the unit doesn't support USB network adapters.
But, If you create a bounded (LAG between the NAS and your router) will improve performance, and that is something that can be achieved,
in case you want to get higher transfer speeds, you will have to look for other ReadyNAS, because this NAS only supports speeds up to 1 gbit.

View solution in original post

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 11 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The RN214 ethernet card doesn't support Multi-Gig.  So unfortunately you can't do that.

Message 2 of 13
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

I appreciate your response. Is it possible to take advantage of multi-gig through the RN214 USB port?
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router, RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Alex_CCIM wrote:
I appreciate your response. Is it possible to take advantage of multi-gig through the RN214 USB port?

No.  At least Netgear hasn't provided a way, and I know of no one who's done it. 

What you could do is connect both NIC ports and use the link aggregation feature of your router.  You'd use LACP as the link aggregation method on the NAS. 

The speed boost is generally modest for most home users - you likely don't have enough clients accessing the NAS simultaneously for it to make much difference.  Personally I wouldn't bother, but you can of course give it a try and see if it helps.

Message 4 of 13
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

I appreciate your insights Stephen. I use link aggregation with little speed boost.  Would the QNAP UC5GIT USB Ethernet Adaptor work?  https://nascompares.com/2019/07/26/qnap-qna-uc5g1t-usb-to-5gbe-adapter-hardware-review/

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Alex_CCIM wrote:

Would the QNAP UC5GIT USB Ethernet Adaptor work?  https://nascompares.com/2019/07/26/qnap-qna-uc5g1t-usb-to-5gbe-adapter-hardware-review/

I don't know - it would depend in part on the NAS having proper drives installed for it.  Also, the adaptor has a USB-C connector, and the NAS needs USB type A.  

Message 6 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

I know some have tried a USB WiFi adapter with no luick, so I rather doubt a USB Ethernet adapter would.  AFAIK, the driver must be included in the Kernel, and rebuilding the ReadyNAS Kernel is not something you should be doing if you have to ask this question.  It's not something I'll be doing!

Message 7 of 13
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

The only way to find out for sure is to buy one.  But both @Sandshark and I think it is unlikely.

You could also reach out to @WhoCares_ (here or via rnxtras.com) and see if he is willing to build you a driver package

Message 9 of 13
WhoCares_
Mentor

@StephenB You sure know how to trigger a response from me 😉

Back on topic: Not sure if there are any multi-gig USB type A dongles out there. If there are, there's one big problem: I haven't been able to build a working kernel driver for ARM based ReadyNAS boxes for quite a while now.

No matter if I use the GPL provided sources or if I try to build from the config that ships with the kernel on the boxes - the built drivers won't load. This is even reproducable with compiling only the stuff that already is in the running kernel without any changes / additions. Ok, I haven't tried with 6.10.4 but I expect no other outcome than with previous kernels. So unless someone at NTGR fixes this or points to where my error is there's not much chance of building any drivers for RN1xx/RN2xx right now.

Oh well, since I've got nothing better to do I'll give it another try with 6.10.4 right away 😉

-Stefan

Message 10 of 13
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

I received the following response from Level 2 Technical Support:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the solution you propose, it would be irresponsible for Netgear to tell you that if it works and this has not been previously tested.

I've done some research, but the unit doesn't support USB network adapters.
But, If you create a bounded (LAG between the NAS and your router) will improve performance, and that is something that can be achieved,
in case you want to get higher transfer speeds, you will have to look for other ReadyNAS, because this NAS only supports speeds up to 1 gbit.

Message 11 of 13
WhoCares_
Mentor

OMG. Typical L2 answer. Yes, outof the box the ReadyNAS doesn't support (multi-gig) USB adapters. But that doesn't mean it can't be made to. The only thing that prevents building drivers for the ARM based boxes is the missing patches NTGR makes to the Linux kernel, as I found out today. They were included in the GPL archive up to 6.9.3 but are missing since (only from the -arm and -alpine kernels to be precise). Why that is the case I can only speculate. Buest guess is a mess-up in the pipeline that builds the GPL archive. If time permits I'll try to adapt the older patches to the newer kernels and see if I can build working drivers with that. That doesn't mean there are drivers for the multi-gig USB adapters available, but at least a lot of other USB add-on devices could be made to work with the ARM boxes.

-Stefan

Message 12 of 13
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

This how StarTech responded to my question on their US2BA30 adapter working with a NAS:

==========================================================================

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/usb-network-adapters/usb-a-25g-ethernet-adapter~US2GA30

"The US2GA30 is a USB to Ethernet adapter which enables you to add wired Ethernet network access to a USB computer. The US2GA30 is currently supported for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2, 2008 R2, Linux Kernel 2.4.20 - 4.x (LTS versions only and Mac OS 10.11 - 10.15. Atha, StarTech.com Support"

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements