× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple versions of RN 214 showing up in MAC Finder

ranchracer
Aspirant

Multiple versions of RN 214 showing up in MAC Finder

Just got my new RN 214 setup. With a couple of small exceptions it's gone pretty well. My question is related to how the drive shows up in the MAC Finder. As you can see from the screenshot, the drive is showing up mulitiple ways. The first one is what I would expect to see, the name of the drive. The second is the ORIGINAL name of the drive before I changed it and rebotted the NAS, and then the new name is also show up as (AFP) and (SMB). What's the difference, why are all of these various shares showing up, and how do I get rid of the original name share?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Multiple versions of RN 214 showing up in MAC Finder

I'm not seeing a screen shot.

I'm not a mac guy, but I believe (SMB) and (AFP) is just what OSX does.  (AFP) is accessing the share using the AFP (Apple File Sharing) protocol, (SMB) is using the Server Message Block protocol.

You can disable one of the protocols if you don't need it - either in system->settings->services for all shares; or in the share settings if you want to manage it on a share-by-share basis.

TimeMachine uses AFP, so if you want to save TimeMachine backups on the NAS leave that enabled.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements