× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Music scan terminated unexpected​ly - Squeezeserver v7.5

Bit_Player
Aspirant

Music scan terminated unexpected​ly - Squeezeserver v7.5.1

I am getting the message, "Music scan terminated unexpectedly (Directory Scan)" with Squeezeserver 7.5.1 running on a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro. When I repeat the Re-Scan, it terminates on different directories.

I tried clearing the database and re-installing Squeezeserver, but it made no difference. Filesystem and Volume scans on the ReadyNAS do not show any errors.

Is this a known issue with v7.5.1?

I did not have this trouble with 7.5.0.

I had to upgrade to 7.5.1 in order to get Touch to stream 24/96 files correctly. I recall getting a full scan after first installing Squeezeserver 7.5.1, but I may be mistaken about that since I almost always select music using the "Music Folder" feature, which I am still able to do.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Message 1 of 19
glashoppah
Aspirant

I have experienced the same behavior. I tried everything. I also posted extensive information on it at Slim's site. None of the suggestions helped. I downgraded back to 7.4 and everything was fine.

I'm pretty annoyed that there isn't a Slim developer that can answer the simple question of what is different between 7.4 and 7.5 scanning. 7.4 scans my entire collection without a hiccup, 7.5 can't get through it.

G.
Message 2 of 19
CSdread1
Aspirant

Having the same issues here. Has this been resolved? If not where can I find the 7.5.0 version of the server software for downgrading?
Message 3 of 19
Bit_Player
Aspirant

I sent scanner and server log files to a Logitech support person on Tuesday.
I will let you know what they find ASAP.

Cheers.
Message 4 of 19
axxel1
Aspirant

ok, now there's at least 3 threads with the same issue and not answer....someone's got an idea where to get slimserver 7.4.1?
Message 5 of 19
axxel1
Aspirant

well...sometimes I'd better make an extensive search before posting...
here we go: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Squeez ... er_v7.4.2/
Message 6 of 19
Bit_Player
Aspirant

It has been 3 days since I sent log files to Logitech. I sent an inquiry e-mail this afternoon as I have not yet heard back from them. Very frustrating!

Perhaps the fix is that their software needs to be re-written and they are busy doing that. For example, why should a filename or tag with valid Windows XP characters cause the scanner to hang? This apparently still occurs, and is pathetic, really, given how long this product has been on the market. (I am not saying that this is the cause of my problem because the scanner used to work with my music collection.)

Given all the many bugs, hassles and band-aids that I've been through to get this system to "work", I now regret ever having bought it. This is coming from a former IT professional, so I don't need my hand held as much as most customers, who I imagine, get even more frustrated than me with this system.

I thought that by waiting a while before becoming a Squeezebox adopter, I would bypass some of the hassle and bugs. Woops!

This reminds me of an old IT saying, "Those who live by the leading edge of technology will be sacrificed on it."

Cheers, and happy Labor Day Weekend!
Message 7 of 19
glashoppah
Aspirant

Bit Player wrote:
It has been 3 days since I sent log files to Logitech. I sent an inquiry e-mail this afternoon as I have not yet heard back from them. Very frustrating!

Perhaps the fix is that their software needs to be re-written and they are busy doing that. For example, why should a filename or tag with valid Windows XP characters cause the scanner to hang? This apparently still occurs, and is pathetic, really, given how long this product has been on the market. (I am not saying that this is the cause of my problem because the scanner used to work with my music collection.)

Given all the many bugs, hassles and band-aids that I've been through to get this system to "work", I now regret ever having bought it. This is coming from a former IT professional, so I don't need my hand held as much as most customers, who I imagine, get even more frustrated than me with this system.

I thought that by waiting a while before becoming a Squeezebox adopter, I would bypass some of the hassle and bugs. Woops!

This reminds me of an old IT saying, "Those who live by the leading edge of technology will be sacrificed on it."

Cheers, and happy Labor Day Weekend!

I am disappointed that 7.5.1 has been out so long (since early last Spring) without a fix or even a single peep from their engineers on the problem - they act like it doesn't exist.

On the other hand, with 7.4 (and many previous versions on ReadyNAS and Windows) I've had wonderful performance and usability. I'm not ready to switch.

G.
Message 8 of 19
axxel1
Aspirant

Now it's been some weeks that I am back to 7.4 - quite happily. However, I really can't understand there's no support from Logitech.
I remember that in the past, the Slimserver for NV+ has always been released with some delay compared to the other platforms. Probably this time was spent for sytem test...now the NV+ version is released along with the main platforms....honi soit qui mal y pense!
Message 9 of 19
JazzRecordJunki
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem, running Squeezerver 7.5.1 on my ReadyNAS Duo.

We are a couple of months further in time now, since the last post to this message, and what I understand from other postings the problem is still not solved in 7.5.2 (not even in the latest build).

Before I rollback to a prior version I would like to know if anybody has an advice for me about the last known version that worked fine? Is that 7.4.2 or 7.4.1?
Message 10 of 19
Bit_Player
Aspirant

I reverted to 7.5.0 and the scan works fine as before. (ReadyNAS Pro)

Once again, I have to put up with "skipping" at the start of the first cued 24bit/96khz track, or if I jump to a different track in a playlist. That had been fixed in 7.5.1.

Recently, my Logitech support concact had me install a beta verson of 7.6.0. In a very frustrating waste of an entire evening, I did so, and couldn't even get SqueezeBox Server to start! So, I went back to 7.5.0.

I also let Logitech know that I am not doing any more debugging for them. When they officially release 7.6.0, or whatever they call it, I will try again.

It is clear that Logitech is not capable of handling the technical demands of this product.

Good luck.
Message 11 of 19
JazzRecordJunki
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I reverted to 7.4.2 (clean install) and that worked smoothly, scanning runs fine as ever.

However I run into a new problem now, my internet radio channels give an error now and I can't play them anymore. Is this a known issues for 7.4.2? Pffff I sometimes feel that by solving one issue I run automatically in a new one 😞
Message 12 of 19
glashoppah
Aspirant

Bit Player wrote:
I reverted to 7.5.0 and the scan works fine as before. (ReadyNAS Pro)

Once again, I have to put up with "skipping" at the start of the first cued 24bit/96khz track, or if I jump to a different track in a playlist. That had been fixed in 7.5.1.

Recently, my Logitech support concact had me install a beta verson of 7.6.0. In a very frustrating waste of an entire evening, I did so, and couldn't even get SqueezeBox Server to start! So, I went back to 7.5.0.

I also let Logitech know that I am not doing any more debugging for them. When they officially release 7.6.0, or whatever they call it, I will try again.

It is clear that Logitech is not capable of handling the technical demands of this product.

Good luck.

Sorry to necro this thread, but does anyone know if v7.6.x fixed this problem? I've been running v7.5.0 for quite some time because later versions had this well-known failure (one for which Slim/Logitech never seemed to give a cause).

G.
Message 13 of 19
Bit_Player
Aspirant

glashoppah wrote:

Sorry to necro this thread, but does anyone know if v7.6.x fixed this problem? I've been running v7.5.0 for quite some time because later versions had this well-known failure (one for which Slim/Logitech never seemed to give a cause).

G.

I wasted an evening trying to get 7.6.0 working, but it would not complete the scan, so I reverted back to 7.5.4.
In a couple more weeks I'll search the net for threads about version 7.6.1. If it appears to work OK on the ReadyNAS Pro, then I'll try the upgrade.

I am not paid to debug software for Logitech, so don't get too excited about any release until others have spinned their wheels first. Sorry for this attitude, but I have wasted way too much time messing with this stuff to be a guinea pig anymore.

Good luck!

PS - I wish this were an Apple product...
Message 14 of 19
Shardstrat
Aspirant

Update: I'm now running version 7.6.2~33283 of Squeezebox Server. It still aborts the scan when it runs into certain files, but at least now it throws a message ("Scan ended unexpectedly") and aborts the scan rather than continuing it indefinitely.

At the suggestion of Logitech's engineer I had installed the Windows version of SBS and it successfully completed a scan. So this is somehow related to the NAS platform.

At this point it no longer seems to be a permissions issue, but something to do with the tags in certain files. When I remove all the tags and then re-tag, the file no longer causes the scan to abort. I've been copying some of these files in case anyone wants to look at them.

ReadyNAS NV+ (1 Gb memory), wired
Message 15 of 19
F_L_
Tutor

Shardstrat wrote:
Update: I'm now running version 7.6.2~33283 of Squeezebox Server. It still aborts the scan when it runs into certain files, but at least now it throws a message ("Scan ended unexpectedly") and aborts the scan rather than continuing it indefinitely.

At the suggestion of Logitech's engineer I had installed the Windows version of SBS and it successfully completed a scan. So this is somehow related to the NAS platform.

At this point it no longer seems to be a permissions issue, but something to do with the tags in certain files. When I remove all the tags and then re-tag, the file no longer causes the scan to abort. I've been copying some of these files in case anyone wants to look at them.

ReadyNAS NV+ (1 Gb memory), wired

Hi, I had the similar problem when I moved from SBS on Windows to SBS on ReadyNAS. Scanning worked fine on Windows but hanging on the NAS.
I think however this is related to the scanner function on linux and a Logitech issue.
What you can do is to upload one of the faulty files to Logitech and they will analyze it.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Large_File_Upload
Message 16 of 19
Shardstrat
Aspirant

Okay, I uploaded a file under bug 17532.
Meanwhile the last scan made it past the halfway point.
Message 17 of 19
dmross
Aspirant

I had the same issues as most people in this thread. I found that all of my issues came down to one thing - corruption in the MP3 file. Most of the time it was due to a very old id3 tag with bad characters or formatting.

I have 7.6.1 running perfect now. If you go to the "Advanced" tab under settings and pick "logging" in the upper left drop-down, you can set the scan log level to "Debug". This way the scan will log every song it is scanning, and when it fails, the last entry in the log is the file with the issue.

On my collection, in many cases there was a "beat per minute" field in the tag with "0000" or "00000" for a value which would always cause the scan to die. As soon as I cleared the value, the song would scan. I had to manually fix about 50 files in my collection which was a bit painful, but in hindsight I'm sure I could have automated it with one of the many MP3 tagging tools out there.

I agree that the scanning retry/fail logic could be improved, but the cause of most of these issues is likely to be corruption from what I have seen.
Message 18 of 19
Shardstrat
Aspirant

Great work, finding such an obscure corrupt tag. What do you use to look at the tags? I'd be interested to hear what you think of some of the tagging programs that are avaiable.
What I did was follow your procedure, then just remove all tags from the files that caused problems, then re-tag. Now I'm able to scan my entire collection, but it took a hell of a long time.
Meanwhile, I haven't gotten a response from the bug report. Andy of the Logitech programming team had said he saw no tagging problems with the files I sent. I still say that if the scanner chokes on a file it should time out and log the name of the file, then move on instead of aborting.
Thanks and happy listening!
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements