× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My NAS killed the drives after 'ERASE' command

brendanitpartne
Aspirant

My NAS killed the drives after 'ERASE' command

i have had issues with this NAS and disk capacity, had 2 x 2tb and 2 x 4tb. have finally figured out and understood the interesting way netgear try and hide their raid setup, as only had 6tb of space and expected more

so moved 4tb discs to bay 1 and 2, and 2tb to bay 3 and 4

after several factory resets it stubbornly refused to forget about the volume, so i deleted the volume using the NAS menu "ERASE"

erases, fine, counting, says it will reboot when done

THATS when it goes haywire. it has never rebooted properly with the discs in it

i have tried several ways, i can get it to boot with 1 disc, but when i try to create a volume it fails saying cannot access - fsync error

i have put the discs into a windows PC - BIOS detects, but when i try any program to fdisk etc i get "cannot initialise disk"

i have even tried a linux distribution to install, and same fsync error

so the BIOS detects the drive correctly, but somehow the disks are toast - all 4 i cannot access, fdisk, format, nothing so far

suggestions for any tools i may not have already tried? i am astounded, and stumped

firmware is 5.3.13 all latest available. all i did was follow the porcedure and this

Model: RND4000v2 (ReadyNAS NV+ v2)|READYNAS NV+ v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: My NAS killed the drives after 'ERASE' command

The disks can be unlocked using hdparm e.g.
# hdparm --security-unlock NETGEAR /dev/sda
# hdparm --security-disable NETGEAR /dev/sda
In the NV+ v2 the internal disks should be /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
mdgm
Virtuoso

The disks can be unlocked using hdparm e.g.
# hdparm --security-unlock NETGEAR /dev/sda
# hdparm --security-disable NETGEAR /dev/sda
In the NV+ v2 the internal disks should be /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd
Message 2 of 5
brendanitpartne
Aspirant

thanks for this

ok so have built a ubuntu 20.10 desktop, attached hard disk, tried the hdparm, and get security-password "NETGREAR" permission denied

have tried upper and lower case, also tried no password

any other possibility?

Message 3 of 5
brendanitpartne
Aspirant

also, i can boot into tech support mode and telnet in, but only diskless. if i have any of the secured disks in it - which i imagine i need to fix them - it doesnt boot, sits on boot menu "booting..."

Message 4 of 5
brendanitpartne
Aspirant

ah ok figured it out thanks for steering in the right direction some more googling with your parameters and tech support root access managed to get things back on track cheers

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements