× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My RN422 longer sees saved Tivo recordings after latest firmware update

ExNASATerry
Aspirant

My RN422 longer sees saved Tivo recordings after latest firmware update

I have a Tivo HD and a Tivo Premiere. Both are activated for archiving on my new RN422 and both have been working fine. Since the latest firmware update (6.9.3), however, both Tivos are still saving programs to the NAS, but the Tivo HD can no longer see any of the saved recordings, even its own. The Premiere is still working normally, able to save and subsequently download programs to/from the NAS.

Is there something in the 6.9.3 firmware that is incompatible with the Tivo HD's ability to access even its own archived programs? And if so, is there a way to downgrade back to 6.9.2?

Thanks.

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 9
Pstreicher
Guide

Can you tell me more about how you set this up in Tivo? I too have a Premier XL and would like to test this out. Thanks.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 2 of 9
ExNASATerry
Aspirant

I should clarify. I've done some more digging, and here's where I'm at:

The RN422 has stopped archiving videos from either my Premiere or my Series 3 HD. This has been a common problem with every Netgear NAS I've owned. I'd hoped the 422 would be more reliable. The last archive date was 3/17.

I cannot see the RN422 from the HD unit at all, which seemed odd to me since it was archiving okay. I have to use pyTivo. (When I posted this originally, I had rebooted the NAS which was why I couldn't see the stored files--I forgot to restart pyTivo.)

Summary: The Premiere is no longer archiving, but can see the RN422 recordings natively.
The HD is no longer archiving and cannot see the RN422 natively; I have to use pyTivo.

I'm running firmware 6.9.3

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 3 of 9
luckyinpa
Aspirant

i'm new to netgear and trying to find out more info about tivo premiere and readynas and see you have a premiere like i do.

i was wondering if you ever have taken a video file from your computer and put it on NAS and the ReadyDLNA has transcoded and you could use tivo to pull it much like you would pull from a computer with pytivo

the goal is take all video files all my laptop and put on NAS but i want tivo to be able to pull them and have them transcoded without me having to do much of anything and readynas appears to be good out of the box with the readydlna but i wanted some first hand experience doing this

i have no  need for regular archiving of programs tivo records itself. just video on my nas id like to buy being sent to the tivo. 

Message 4 of 9
Pstreicher
Guide

Yes, it just works. Once you set Tivo to find your NAS and you have set up your NAS for DLNA, either the folder or directory, you put your videos in and Tivo will do the work so you can view them easily. I set it up and viewed a couple of  videos a couple of times but haven't tried it lately. Hopefully it still works. I am behind on my video file organizing but once I get back to it I'm sure I'll have the free time to lie in bed and view my vids on the Premiere once again. I've recently bought a Bolt though and have been setting it up to take over the recordings from the old FIOS set top box. Keep in touch, let me know how you do. It should be easy enough to do. The NAS might be a bit harder to configure than the Tivo. Depends on how quick you can pick up how to do it. I know it took me some time and I didn't do them both at once. I had set up the NAS DLNA Video folder long before I configured the Tivo. It worked the first time though and that was that.

Message 5 of 9
luckyinpa
Aspirant

thanks for the great news. i like to find 1st hand experience at least one person did what i want to do . ive just started shopping for a NAS because my single disk Mycloud has been wonky lately and I wanted a nice RAID setup for backup ; but if i can stream vids from the NAS its worth the big investment to offload there instead of my laptop doing the work and taking up that space. 

setting up pytivo on my laptop took a very long time as well as tivo working with the laptop. but hopefully through that experience a NAS would be not so bad. 

GL with the bolt. i read on another forum that there were issues with newer tivos so i'm glad i have an ancient one. i just use for OTA anyway. 

i'm sure in another place on this forum is the answer but i was wondering if you had an opinion on what kind of drives should go in the readynas? i did see on amazon they had a nas with some already installed but unsure what kind they were so maybe best to buy diskless and add something thats known. 

Message 6 of 9
Pstreicher
Guide

I like the Western Digital RED drives. They are made for NAS and supposedly have long life expectancy, like five years. I had previously had the Green drives installed and they worked for years without a failure. Yes, I always buy diskless so I can put in the drives I prefer. I started out with a Stora but pulled the plug on it after getting the RN104. A friend bought a Stora after seeing mine and he currently uses it for streaming video to his flat screen in his living room. I had never tried using the Stora as a video streamer and will have to say I was very impressed to see him doing just that and that it works so well for him.

Have you looked on eBay for a NAS box? I'm sure you could find quite a deal on one where someone has upgraded and no longer needs the older box.

I'm always looking for faster transfer speed. The RN104 did not suit my purpose of making and keeping image backups for my three different computers. I then took one of my older 3tb Red drives off the shelf (I had upgraded to 4tb for the NAS), reformatted it and stuck it into an external case. Now using USB and Acronis software I find it the fastest method for image backups. I then do an image backup to the NAS as a redundant backup. I've had experience with losing hard drives in the past and since that time I had done my research and am a hard believer in image backups. My next goal is to have a spare drive sitting on the shelf for each of the three computers with a current image backup on them whereby I could swap the drive out at any time and continue on working like nothing happened. I'm hoping for nothing older than a month's data at the worst or is that the least. Hah. I've got some big ideas but time is always a big factor.

Message 7 of 9
Pstreicher
Guide

One more thing I wanted to mention. Transfer speed. I have searched Netgear many times to find something to my liking. It turns out that the Enterprise or business class NAS boxes are the fastest. This due to faster processors and more ram memory. I am not ready to pay over a grand for a NAS just yet. But, like in my previous post, if all you want to do is stream video, if the old Stora works great than I would think any of the others will do the same. I think it's important to think of future uses though and that one important future use for me was backups. If I have to go to bed while the backup is happening, not a problem. As long as it completes with no errors by the time I wake up. So far, Acronis has been great for many years that I have been using it now. Good luck in your search and I hope you get what you are looking for soon so you can enjoy!

Message 8 of 9
luckyinpa
Aspirant

Thanks for the drive recommendation. i have about 400 gigs of video on a 750 gig drive and the OS drive is 256 SSD. So I think even the same 2TB I have now with mycloud should be good on the NAS since that’s just 1 TB to backup. Ill have raid backup of everything and room to have 1 more TB of stuff on NAS if I need to (cause everyone needs MORE video they never watch).

I have paid version of acronis and have been happy with it the past year. Since my wireless laptop has zero lag when trancoding video to tivo, and the laptop is at least 5 years old, I’m assuming that any new readynas will give me the same instant performance. So if I start to pull from NAS to tivo that its immediately watchable. If this turns out not to be true I admit ill be upset.

Regarding speed of backups I don’t worry about that. it takes me about 3 to 4 hours with Ethernet plugged in the laptop to backup the 400 gigs of video to mycloud. I just let it run on weekends when the laptop is open all day. my plan is use NAS for the 1TB on my laptop so it backs up to both NAS drives for the redundancy. I’m assuming the raid drives just show up as one drive on windows explorer? I never used RAID before. But I want the safety now.

I wont do ebay for such a large purchase but I will take a look to convince myself of the pricing. The readynas appears to be 200 or 300 depending on which I decide. I think model 422 is what I found on amazon for 300. Will look around for deals of course. But the idea of a backup solution plus media server to tivo is something id love to have.

Now what am I gonna do with 400 gigs free space on my laptop (scratches head)

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements