× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My ReadyNas 2120v2 Diskless will not update past FW 6.9.0

raelriggs
Aspirant

My ReadyNas 2120v2 Diskless will not update past FW 6.9.0

Hi All, my first question here, 

I have been using a RN2021 v2 for about 3 years give or take, I like the device and the features. I have 4no 4TB drives installed and have them in the normal X-Raid2 configuration. 

I have been fighting for some time to get the updates to take hold. my device is currently on 6.0.0 and will not upgrade to any of the updates that come out after. 

my steps to upgrade in each case are:

login,

get a update message on screen,

click upgrade button,

device downloads the files and then shuts down the webpage such that there is a scroll bar displaying to show the update progress,

that is as far as it has ever gotten with all the versions of firmware including the latest one. I have left it in this condition for a number of differing times, including  a full weekend Friday evening to Monday morning. 

the only way I can get the device to function is by pulling the main plug and powering it back on, from there it boots as normal, when I login to the web management page it displays a message that the update has not been successful. 

the device continues to function as normal but does not ever update. 

when the device is none responsive I cannot connect to either of the lan ports by Putty or by web interface, all pings fail as well. my Unifi network management software also shows the ports as not connected. 

i run the network ports as bonded pair, but this is a recent change and the updates failed before i bonded the interfaces. 

if you have any suggestions for anything i can do to get the updates to take hold i would appreciate your help.

Raelrigs

PS not able to repond untill after the weekend as working away. would appreciate any suggestiosn in the meantime. 

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 8
raelriggs
Aspirant

update, 

i got the version number wron, my current version is 6.9.0 not 6.0.0. it was a typo.

Raelrigs

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Have you installed any apps (either from the admin web ui, or from using ssh)?  If so, which ones?

Can you download the log zip file via the web ui?

Open volume.log and scroll to the end.  Post what you see in these two sections (no need to go past the tempfs sections).

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        3.7G  574M  3.0G  17% /
tmpfs          1009M     0 1009M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs          1009M  532K 1009M   1% /run
tmpfs           505M  656K  504M   1% /run/lock
=== df -i ===
Filesystem      Inodes IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
udev            187852   228  187624    1% /dev
/dev/md0       1048576 12827 1035749    2% /
tmpfs           188715     1  188714    1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           188715   411  188304    1% /run
tmpfs           188715    20  188695    1% /run/lock
tmpfs           188715     9  188706    1% /sys/fs/cgroup
Message 3 of 8
raelriggs
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thank you for your reply, sorry for the delay in my reply. 

when i first installed the RN, I installed the GLPI program by Poussin version 1.0.0 (it is a Computer Asset Managment program) that i was looking to use in my workplace to manage our IT assets, 

it did not work after it installed, so i uninstalled it. the uninstall failed, and im left with the programme in a half and half state. (this could be my problem)

my logs

i am logged in to the UI so have acces to logs that way,

i can SSH in as well but dont know the exact commands to type to get the logs. 

from the UI i can download logs for all catagories, when i change to the volume log there is no content. 

can you help me with the commands to get the log from the CLI 

i was hoping to get this recified without having to pull a full reset because i have a huge amount of data on this NAS that would take forever to move off and back on again. 

i thank you in advance for any help you can be.

Raelrigs

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@raelriggs wrote:

i was hoping to get this recified without having to pull a full reset because i have a huge amount of data on this NAS that would take forever to move off and back on again. 

That isn't unusual.  But you do need to understand that RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  If you don't have a backup on a different device, you will lose your data at some point.

@raelriggs wrote:

can you help me with the commands to get the log from the CLI 

# df // -i
# df // -h
Message 5 of 8
raelriggs
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, Thank you for your time and help

i had already posted this reply 3 times but it keeps failing to post sucessfully, 

im assuming it is because of the code previously not being in brackets. we will see this time.

admin@MPS-NAS:~$ df // -i 
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/md0 1048576 15047 1033529 2% / admin@MPS-NAS:~$ df // -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /
dev/md0 3.7G 1.1G 2.5G 30% /

i do have backup solutions in place but as this box is in use all the time by both local and remote users i dont have a break in service where i can remove all data, reset the box, reconfigure it then restore all the data again, 

i have however changed the ISCSI LUNS to an alternate device and moved some essential data stores to another NAS.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The OS partition isn't full, so that's not the problem.  That's a good thing...

@raelriggs wrote:

i dont have a break in service where i can remove all data, reset the box, reconfigure it then restore all the data again, 

Paid support (my.netgear.com) is probably the best option then.  They can access the NAS remotely.  They likely would need to reboot it at some point, but the interruption in service wouldn't be as bad as doing a full reset/restore.

Message 7 of 8
raelriggs
Aspirant

Thanks for you input. i will see if finance will give me the ok to buy another one to have as a mirror, that way i can offload all data to the second device and repair this one with a full reset. 

thanks again

Raelrigs

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements