× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS 102 Windows 10 password/username problem

Harrypc
Aspirant

NAS 102 Windows 10 password/username problem

I'm running firmware version 6.10.1 with a couple of Windows 10 PCs networked to the NAS. I recently upgraded one of the PCs to the latest version of Windows 10 and now, I cannot get past the username and password stage. I'm using the Windows password and the PC name as username. My other PC has no problem with these parameters - obviously a different username and password.

Is ther any change in Windows 10 which prevents the NAS from communicating with the troublesome PC?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS 102 Windows 10 password/username problem

@Harrypc wrote:

Is ther any change in Windows 10 which prevents the NAS from communicating with the troublesome PC?

Not that I know of.  However, there might be a problem with the NAS credentials stored on that PC, and there might be a problem with the PC name conflicting with a reserved name on the NAS (for instance, it might be the same as a share name).

Perhaps look in the windows credential manager in the PC first.  Delete any existing credentials for the NAS, reboot, and then test it again.

Message 2 of 8
Harrypc
Aspirant

Hi,

It's a brand new virgin install on the PC and there are no obvious NAS entries in the credentials list.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  Since it's a new setup, you should check that the network connection is classified as "private" by windows.  Windows disables file access on "public" networks by default.

You could also running CMD from the windows search bar and entering

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password of course.  Be careful with the typing - both spaces and the two slash directions.

The first command terminates any open SMB sessions; the second tries to mount your NAS data volume as drive letter t.

If that works, try again with 

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:pc-account-name pc-account-password

This second test will check your account credentials.

If the second test also works, try a third time, but use the nas hostname instead of the ip address:

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas-hostname\sharename /user:pc-account-name pc-account-password

The third test checks if the PC is able to discover the NAS hostname and resolve it to the correct IP address.

Message 4 of 8
Harrypc
Aspirant

Hi,

I’m looking for a little help on exactly what I should enter in the command line prompt. Could you spell it out for me?

Also, weirdly, if I try to test the connection on the other backups I have on the NAS, I get ‘access denied’ message. However, if I force the backup to start, it runs OK. Also, if I enter my PC password into the settings for the backup, then the test connection functions works. All very curious.

Thanks,

Harry

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Harrypc wrote:

I’m looking for a little help on exactly what I should enter in the command line prompt. Could you spell it out for me?

I already did that in the code boxes.  You do need to fill in the blue italic parts

• -nas-ip-address
  • -nas-hostname
  • -nas-admin-password
  • -pc-account-name
  • -pc-account-password
  • -sharename

I can't tell you what those are, unless you give me more information.  Some of that probably shouldn't be posted publicly, so it might be best if you send a private message using the envelope icon in the upper right. 

But you should already know the NAS hostname and the admin password.  You can find the IP address of the NAS in your router's attached device list - or with RAIDar ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar )

Message 6 of 8
Harrypc
Aspirant

All commands completed successfully

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Harrypc wrote:

All commands completed successfully

And the last one should have mounted the desired share to a drive letter using the correct credentials.

Does that mean your issue is resolved?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements