× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS 212 will not boot with hard disks

Asifwarsi90
Aspirant

NAS 212 will not boot with hard disks

Hi guys 

I have ReadyNAS 212 with which I have purchased Seagate Ironwolf 4TB NAS Drives ST4000VN008. The problem I am facing is that NAS will boot up with out the hard disk, with an old laptop hardisk but not the newly purchased NAS drives. I am not sure whats causing the issue here. 

Thanks

Asif 

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Asifwarsi90,

Welcome to the Community!

How many Seagate IronWolf 4TB disks are inserted on the RN212? If there are two, do you get the same issue if only one of the disks is inserted?

Is the NAS also not detected on RAIDar when the new disk is inserted?

You can also check the new hard disk for errors using the disk manufacturer tool (Seatools for Seagate).

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Asifwarsi90 wrote:

I have ReadyNAS 212 with which I have purchased Seagate Ironwolf 4TB NAS Drives ST4000VN008.

Sometimes disks are "dead on arrival".  So I suggest connecting them to a windows PC (with a SATA or a USB adapter/dock) and testing them with Seatools. 

FWIW, my practice with all new disks is to run the long generic (non-destructive) test and the full erase (write zeros) test before adding them to my NAS.  I have had some new disks that pass one of those tests but fail the other.

Message 3 of 4
Asifwarsi90
Aspirant

Thanks for your help guys.

I managed to get my hand around an old pc and it did the same thing, as soon I connected the harddisk it would refuse to power on. As it happend with both harddisks I am doubting my self if I am doing something worng. The coumputer worked fine with its own harddisk after words. 

I will try to return these as I am still within return period. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements