× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS 312 Ethernet Port

Traca
Aspirant

NAS 312 Ethernet Port

Hi Community, 

My NAS 312 ethernet port stopped "working" after I performed a firmware upgrade few months ago. No lights come on anymore. I have tested the cables and all if fine.. it seems the problem is in the port itself. 

I am not sure it it's firmware related or it just died.

Any idea how I can fix this.. I need your help as I cant access my drives to operate my work.. 

Thank you 

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: NAS 312 Ethernet Port

What about the disk LEDs?

Have you tried both ethernet ports?

Any difference if you boot up without disks installed? If yes, then that may point to a disk issue or a power supply issue or some other hardware issue.

If no, then I think it probably points to an issue with the ethernet port. You could try booting into tech support mode to see if there's any difference.

Your disks could be moved to another x86 OS6 ReadyNAS e.g. RN422, RN424, RN524X, RN526X etc.

Assuming it's failure of the NICs if you are comfortable with shell commands you could hook up a HDMI monitor to the RN312 and a USB keyboard and a USB storage device and copy data off that using that, I think.

Message 2 of 12
Traca
Aspirant

Thanks for your prompt reply!!

Answer to your questions below ***

What about the disk LEDs?

***the disk LEDs are on.

Have you tried both ethernet ports?

***Yes, tried both ports and no lights.. 

Any difference if you boot up without disks installed? If yes, then that may point to a disk issue or a power supply issue or some other hardware issue.

***I haven't tried, but I will try when I get to the office today. 

Your disks could be moved to another x86 OS6 ReadyNAS e.g. RN422, RN424, RN524X, RN526X etc.

***is it a simple swapover or do I need to something else?

Thanks again 

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Traca wrote:

***is it a simple swapover or do I need to something else?

It's a simple swapover.  

Though it is reasonable to check out the replacement before migrating the disks - especially if you get something used.  You can do that by doing a factory install on a spare disk (not part of the array).  Then make sure the NAS boots with that disk in every slot.  Also, make sure the firmware is up to date.

Message 4 of 12
Traca
Aspirant

So I think I know what the problem is.. we had a power spike few weeks ago due to lightening stricked nearby. This causes the eathernet ports at the router and the NAS to break. 

I am surprised through that the 2 NAS ethernet ports are not working.. I would have thought only one of them should stop working and the other be still operational. 

Message 5 of 12
mdgm
Virtuoso

Both the ethernet ports are on the same board so if one is taken out by a power spike it's almost certain the other one will as well.

You could move the disks to a new ReadyNAS or alternatively you could attempt to recover data from an ordinary x86 Linux PC or even using 3rd party software for WIndows such as ReclaimMe.

Message 6 of 12
Traca
Aspirant

Thanks stephen, 

I'm a bit confused.. So if I buy a used unit I can't just slot the 2 disks in there and run it, I'll need to factory reset it and update the firmware using separate disks? Can't I reset it and update the firmware without having disks in there?

I am worried if I slot my disks in the new unit then it might wipe everything!!

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Traca wrote:

I'm a bit confused.. So if I buy a used unit I can't just slot the 2 disks in there and run it, I'll need to factory reset it and update the firmware using separate disks? 

You could just migrate the disks.  I'm suggesting testing the used NAS first with a spare disk, because I think that is something is wrong with it, it would be safer to test it with a spare disk.

@Traca wrote:

Can't I reset it and update the firmware without having disks in there?

No, that is actually not possible. There is no way to update the flash install image w/o a disk in place - and a factory reset cannot be done w/o at least one disk installed in the NAS.  A factory reset installs the firmware in the flash onto the disk(s).

@Traca wrote:

I am worried if I slot my disks in the new unit then it might wipe everything!!

If the array is healthy, then that shouldn't happen.  Since you are running RAID-1, you could try migrating just one disk - then you'd have the other in reserve.  If you do that, then boot up the NAS in read-only mode, and check that the data is there.  Then power down, insert the second disk, and boot up normally.

Message 8 of 12
Traca
Aspirant

Do you have any idea on how to use the shell commands to backup to an external hard drive?

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Is the USB drive mounted?

You can copy files using the linux command.  https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/cp.1.html

for instance

# cp -R /data/sharename  /usbvolume/sharename
Message 10 of 12
Traca
Aspirant

It’s just an external hard drive, do I need to do anything to mount it?

What is this so complicated?!! I just want to move my disks to anther nas as the Ethernet ports died in me..
Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Traca wrote:
 I just want to move my disks to anther nas as the Ethernet ports died in me.

Is this another ReadyNAS?  If so, what model is it?  Direct migration of disks is possible if you are wanting to move the disks to another ReadyNAS running OS-6.

@Traca wrote:

What is this so complicated?!! 

It's complicated because you don't know linux, and you are limited to using the linux command line.

What would have made it simple: having a proper backup plan in place for your data.  RAID isn't enough to keep it safe.  

@Traca wrote:
It’s just an external hard drive, do I need to do anything to mount it?

Normally the NAS would mount it automatically, though that depends how it is formatted.

Part of the puzzle here is finding the path to the USB drive in linux, as you need that in order to use the CP command in the earlier post.

Try typing

# lsblk

Ignore any output that includes sda or sdb - these are the internal drives in your NAS.  If the drive is mounted, you will see another device in the list (probably sdc).  That would show you the mount point for that drive (the rightmost entry on the list).

If that is too confusing, you can take a photo of the output, and post it here.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements