× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS Lost Volume Data

SARN
Aspirant

NAS Lost Volume Data

Currently having an issue accessing the Data on my ReadyNAS. Currently configured to have Backup data copied to this every night, hover last night this stopped working.
Logged into the Web UI and from there this shows that there are now "No Volumes” but using Windows Explorer to its Network Name works and shows the shared folders, however then unable to access them.
Does anyone have any ideas how to get the device to re-instate these?

Key Points as follows:
Shares: "No Volumes Exist"
Drives: Showing as there, Green Light.
Data Format: X-Raid (Raid-5)
Data on Disk: 10.90TB (Full disk used)
Device still remembers Admin Name/Unique password; Accounts; Settings all still available.

Logs on the device show:
Sep 14, 2020 01:00:32 AM Volume: Volume data is Dead.
Sep 13, 2020 02:54:36 PM Disk: Disk Model:TOSHIBA MG03ACA400 Serial:XXXXXXXXX was removed from Channel 4 of the head unit.
Sep 13, 2020 02:54:36 PM Volume: Volume data health changed from Redundant to Dead.

Took a backup of the Config and only the "etc" & "tmp" folder, but no "Data" folder there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Model: RN31842E|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (4x2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS Lost Volume Data

@SARN wrote:

Logs on the device show:
Sep 13, 2020 02:54:36 PM Disk: Disk Model:TOSHIBA MG03ACA400 Serial:XXXXXXXXX was removed from Channel 4 of the head unit.

This of course was the issue.  Did you remove the drive?

Possibly also download the full zip file, as with XRAID you'd need to lose two drives.

Message 2 of 5
SARN
Aspirant

Good morning Stephen, 

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

@StephenB wrote:

@SARN wrote:

Logs on the device show:

This of course was the issue.  Did you remove the drive?

Possibly also download the full zip file, as with XRAID you'd need to lose two drives.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunatley I did not remove the drive, and this is showing as online on the device.

When you say "Download the Full Zip File" do you mean the Config. If that's the case then yes I did.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@SARN wrote:

When you say "Download the Full Zip File" do you mean the Config. If that's the case then yes I did.

No.  I mean download all the log zip file (which you do from the logs page).

I am thinking some other disk must also have failed sometime in the past.  So I'd begin by looking in disk_info.log at the disk health, and also look in system.log and kernel.log for disk errors.

I'd also test the disks in a Windows PC (connecting them with either SATA or a USB adapter/dock).  Use vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital), and run the full non-destructive test.

Power down the NAS before removing disks (and keep it powered down until you reinsert them).  Also, label the disks by slot as you remove them so you can put them back.

FWIW, if you don't have a backup of the data you are probably looking at data recovery.

Message 4 of 5
SARN
Aspirant

Tried all of that. Have had to just delete any volume reminants and format the drives and start from scratch.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements