× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SFTP backup From(!) ReadyNAS TO external sftp server (port22), how?

GaACETech
Tutor

NAS Suggestions for Server backup

Need larger NAS (8TB usable) for 2 MS Server backups.   Both servers are imaged to the current NAS.  Also specific folders are copied to the NAS on a end of week basis.

- RAID 5 or so is OK since backups are done at night

- only the servers with attach to the NAS

- cloud backup not needed

- no video streaming needed

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Darryl

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I'm a bit confused on what you are asking (wondering how the title relates to the body of the post).

Do you want suggestions on how to back up the ReadyNAS?

Or are you looking for advice on which ReadyNAS to buy?

Message 2 of 4
GaACETech
Tutor

Thanks for telling me.    That is not the title I typed in.  My title was simply "NAS Suggestions for Server backup".  

I'm looking for NAS solutions.

Darryl

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS Suggestions for Server backup

I've edited the title in your original post, and fixed it in this reply also.

As far as ReadyNAS models go, you have quite a few options.  I'd suggest an x86 platform.  Desktop models are quite a bit less expensive than rackmount.

I'd suggest getting a 4-bay desktop model, and sizing the disks to leave one or two slots empty. (for future expansion of storage)  BTRFS needs a quite a bit of free space, so size the disks to give you ~30% free space.  The RN424 and the RN524 would both be suitable.  The RN524 has a 10GBaseT interface, which would speed the backup times if you can use it.  It also has ECC RAM.

If you prefer a rackmount, then an RN3138 would be a reasonable choice.  However, it doesn't have a 10G network connection.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements