× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS Utils for iPhone/iPad Beta

doylmi
Guide

NAS Utils for iPhone/iPad Beta

Hey everyone! Following up on the huge success of NAS Utils for Android, I've been hard at work on an iPhone version! It's been a long time coming, but I should have a basic version ready to go in a couple weeks. I'd like to get this in front of a few people and get some feedback before publishing to the app store. Send me your email address (via PM) if you want to participate, and I'll let you know when I have a beta ready.

Thanks,
Mike
Message 1 of 35
doylmi
Guide

Re: NAS Utils for iPhone/iPad

Things are coming allong. Here are a couple screenshots of the progress as a teaser. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this app, it's more or less all of the essential features of frontview rolled into a mobile app, plus a few extras like wake-on-lan.

Message 2 of 35
doylmi
Guide

Just shipped the first beta build. Not too many folks have expressed interest. Let me know if you want to try this out - your feedback is super valuable. You'll be able to view health details for your NAS, power it on and off, etc all from your iPhone/iPad.
Message 3 of 35
demiise
Aspirant

I'd be interested!
Message 4 of 35
doylmi
Guide

@demiise awesome, thanks! Just PM me with your email address so that I can send you the invite.
Message 5 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

Sent PM. I had seen @mdgm retweet the announcement for Android and was a little jealous there wasn't an iOS verison. Looking forward to seeing it!
Message 6 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't have Android either. The beta iOS app is great.
Message 7 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

Glad someone's enjoying it.
Message 8 of 35
doylmi
Guide

btaroli wrote:

🙂 Just sent out a round of invites. Once everyone accepts, I'll send out an updated build shortly thereafter.
Message 9 of 35
fbmachines
Guide

PM sent. I'd be interested if you are still needing testers. Thanks.
Message 10 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

doylmi wrote:
btaroli wrote:

🙂 Just sent out a round of invites. Once everyone accepts, I'll send out an updated build shortly thereafter.

Thanks! 🙂 Already responded to the invitation. Still managing certs and UUIDs? I have a couple apps using TestFlight and *LOVE* it.
Message 11 of 35
fbmachines
Guide

The app must be for iOS 8.x. Still running 7.x here and it says it isn't compatible.
Message 12 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

You got a release notice? I haven't seen one yet...
Message 13 of 35
fbmachines
Guide

NAS Utils for iPhone/iPad

btaroli wrote:
You got a release notice? I haven't seen one yet...

If I'm reading it right. The email I received today said,"NAS Utils v1.0 (4) is ready to test"'.

But, when I go to the link is says that the developer needs to upload a build that supports iOS 7.1.2.
Message 14 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

No sign of the email but I went to the Beta app and it gave a link to install it. On 8.2 now so no worries there. Hard to contemplate still being on 7.x. Jailbreak?
Message 15 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

Not sure what the right feedback channel is... But since we're here. Could we please get temp display in Farenheit?

Like the clean interface. Will be nice as details fill in about other parts of the config. I was a little surprised to see that it said WOL was enabled because I don't recall it is. Will double check that later on.
Message 16 of 35
fbmachines
Guide

btaroli wrote:
Jailbreak?

Yep.

That and not wanting to upgrade my iCloud to iCloud Drive that can't support older devices that I don't want to update because they wouldn't run iOS 8 well.
Message 17 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

btaroli wrote:
I was a little surprised to see that it said WOL was enabled because I don't recall it is. Will double check that later on.

Confirmed. WOL is *not* enabled, but app says it is. Model is 516 and I selected ReadyNAS 500 series. Perhaps wrong model?

Also, please for heaven's sake try a different approach to your selector! I started swearing at it since I could barely browse the list without it auto-selecting wherever it stopped after scrolling. Why no "Done" button like other similar selectors?
Message 18 of 35
doylmi
Guide

This forum works for me as a feedback channel.

@fbmachines - I'll see what I can do to bring in support for 7.2.

@btaroli
- Farenheit support is on the way
- I'll definitely see what I can do about fixing the model selector
- When you mention that the app says WOL is enabled, can you clarify? Do you mean the fact that a WOL button is shown at all? The power screen doesn't talk to your NAS at all currently, so it will show a button for WOL regardless. Does the 516 not support WOL? Or do you just have that feature turned off? Let me know, and I'll see what we can do to tighten this up.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. These are exactly the type of things I'm looking for.
Message 19 of 35
btaroli
Prodigy

doylmi wrote:
- When you mention that the app says WOL is enabled, can you clarify? Do you mean the fact that a WOL button is shown at all? The power screen doesn't talk to your NAS at all currently, so it will show a button for WOL regardless. Does the 516 not support WOL? Or do you just have that feature turned off? Let me know, and I'll see what we can do to tighten this up.

Well, the toggle suggests something is turned on. But perhaps that was just to enable "broadcast?"

The 516 definitely supports it and I definitely have it turned off. With the stuff I have running there's no chance for power management features to ever be able to sleep or idle drives.
Message 20 of 35
doylmi
Guide

Got it. Yes, that toggle is for send as broadcast. I wouldn't necessarily suggest it, but some folks have public ips forward to broadcast to enable them to remotely send wol packets. Those folks would need to turn that flag off, so that they can target a specific ip instead of their local broadcast address.
Message 21 of 35
StephenB
Guru

Sounds like send as broadcast, repeats and the port should be advanced settings and not controls then.

Not sure how to handle the control to send WoL if you can't detect if WoL is enabled for the NAS (and of course some NAS don't have that feature). Perhaps a setting to hide/show the control?
Message 22 of 35
doylmi
Guide

StephenB wrote:
Not sure how to handle the control to send WoL if you can't detect if WoL is enabled for the NAS (and of course some NAS don't have that feature). Perhaps a setting to hide/show the control?

Generally speaking it's detectable whether or not the WOL setting is on or off, but if the NAS is powered off, I definitely won't be able to tell whether or not to show it. 🙂 Do you know if there is a list of models that do/do not support WOL? I suppose I could dig through all of the manuals. On the Android version I don't show WOL for a few specific models people have told me do not support it.
Message 23 of 35
StephenB
Guru

None of the 4.1.x systems support WoL. 4.2.x, 5.x and OS6 systems all support it.
Message 24 of 35
doylmi
Guide

StephenB wrote:
None of the 4.1.x systems support WoL. 4.2.x, 5.x and OS6 systems all support it.

Easy enough, thanks!
Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements