× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS to NAS back-up

daKlone
Aspirant

NAS to NAS back-up

I wonder if anyone could suggest how best to achieve the NAS to NAS back-up I'm trying to sort out?

I have a main NAS, an RN314 with 4x3TB drives (8TB usable) that I'd like to back-up to a secondary RN104, again with 4x3TB drives (8TB usable).

I want to back up the entire RN314 first, then do incremental back-ups once a week in the future.

I want the RN104 spend it's time off, and only come on to complete the back-up and then turn off again.

I don't want to use any kind of web-based service.

I want the back-ups to occur unattended, during the early hours of the morning, ideally with no computer needed.

Any suggestions as the simplest/most effective way of achieving this would be appreciated 🙂

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless),RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 11
omicron_persei8
Luminary

I do something similar on my NASes at home.
The main NAS allow rsync read-only access to the relevant shares.
The backup NAS has power schedule to boot at 1AM and shutdown at 7AM.
Then I have several rsync backup jobs scheduled on the backup NAS to pull the data from the main NAS.
- backup#1: pull share1 from nas1 using rsync between 1:05 and 3:05
- backup#2: pull share2 from nas1 using rsync between 2:05 and 4:05
- etc.
Once you create all your jobs, run the first occurrence manually. Allow enough time in schedule for your jobs to complete between shutdown time.
Just in case, the time you set as schedule on the backup job is the start time, it doesn't control the end time. It means that backup#1 will start at 1:05 if the NAS is idle, otherwise wait. If it hasn't started at 3:05, it starts.
Message 2 of 11
daKlone
Aspirant

Thank you, that makes sense 🙂

So I need to know, a) how long each of the back-up jobs will take, so that I can space them apart enough in the back-up job list (what happens if job #1 isn't finished by the time the window for job #2 closes?), and b) how long the total back-up time will be so that I can schedule the back-up NAS "on" time to be long enough. Is that correct?

Do you know how I might work this out? I imagine that it would depend on how much data has changed since the last back-up, wouldn't it?

Message 3 of 11
cpu8088
Virtuoso

i have been doing backup from one nas to another with the backup nas scheduled to switch on and off for 1 hour. the working nas is on 24x7

this i set up similar folders in 2 nases, use the backup function built in readynas firmware, create different backup jobs  in the backup nas and schedule to start at same time. 

the firmware is intelligent enough to queue the jobs one by one and even if the backup time is longer than schedule the switch off will be delayed until all backup jobs done. this is usually the case when first backup in full. while subsequent incremental backup usually can be done within 1 hour

Message 4 of 11
omicron_persei8
Luminary

Yes, it queues the jobs.
If there are a few jobs and they're small, it's most likely ok to just give them the same start window.

In my case, as I have a dozen jobs and two of them can be big, I use a "sliding" window as described in my example. This way, I make sure that they don't all start at the same time at the end of the common start window
Message 5 of 11
daKlone
Aspirant

I think I have it set up properly now, due to run tomorrow morning so we'll see.

Thank you chaps Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
cpu8088
Virtuoso

u can now switch on the backup nas, go to backup, find the little wheel and hit start.  there is no need to wait for the schedule start. you may verify the scheduled turned on and incremental backup are working or not later.

Message 7 of 11
Tinman80
Aspirant

I using rysnc first time after main backup. Incemental transfers all files one by one and deletes itself one by one after transfering to destination. Why. I thought only transfers new files in the same share.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Tinman80 wrote:

I using rysnc first time after main backup. Incemental transfers all files one by one and deletes itself one by one after transfering to destination. Why. I thought only transfers new files in the same share.

I'm not completely sure I understand what you are saying.

Was the "main backup" also using rsync?  Was it the same backup job, or are you using a new one?

Also, are you saying files are being deleted on the source?

What NAS do you have and what firmware are they running?

Message 9 of 11
Tinman80
Aspirant

OK. I share movies folder from NAS to NAS. Destination folder has same files as source does.Rync starts and first file is transfered, but the file is already in the destination folder. When the 1st file is transfered theirs 2 copies of the same file, but that dupliacte gets deleted straight after the transfer finishes.Same thing happens on the 2nd file and so on. With 3TB of data how am i going to put this NAS offsite. Transfers everything again. Both NAS have OS6.

Message 10 of 11
Tinman80
Aspirant

Update

Solved it. I put put the wrong share name in the destination field. Didnt put the / in the field.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements