× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS very slow at opening photos

Crofty7
Aspirant

NAS very slow at opening photos

Hi,

I've started a spring clean with my NAS and i'm sorting the backup photos from my mobile, however when reviewing the images it's very slow and painfull. One image could take 60 to 90 seconds to open and then a further 10 seconds to come into focus.

I'm using a DELL XPS15 connected through LAN cable via a USB-C adaptor, the LAN cable is plugged into a Solwise plug in extender. The NAS is also connected to a seperate Solwise plug in extender. Would this be the reason for slowing down access to the photos? Should i make a direct connection with the NAS to improve speed?

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Crofty7
Aspirant

Considering what you have said then i see no real point in going for the Orbi as it will not outperform my current setup enough to warrent the purchase. I attempted to use a powerline in the garage but the distance is too great, signal strength is near on non existant. I looked at the external Orbi but was put off by some reviews and it's cost.

I teather through my phone in the garage and that works fine for me, but i do burn through my data pretty quickly!!

Thanks for your help...now to raise a further cunundrum in another thread!!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you try running NasTester, and see what speeds it reports?  http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Also, are your Solwise devices powerline networking gadgets, or are they something else?  Generally speaking, you'll get the fastest speeds with wired gigabit ethernet.

Message 2 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

The solwise plugs are as https://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-hl129ep.html

I opened the NAS tester but don't know what to enter into the network path field. I copied the network address but this didn't work.

The file path copied was \\nasname?

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Crofty7 wrote:

The solwise plugs are as https://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-hl129ep.html

Ok, powerline.  Gigabit ethernet would be faster if it is practical to run a cable.  NasTester should give us some idea on how much faster.

@Crofty7 wrote:

The file path copied was \\nasname?

You need \\nasname\sharename or \\nas-ip-address\sharename (using the real hostname, IP address, sharenames of course).  Note the direction of the slashes, which is important.

Message 4 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

Hi,

Bit of a delayed response, apologies for that, but where do i find the sharename?

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Crofty7 wrote:

Bit of a delayed response, apologies for that, but where do i find the sharename?

The NAS web ui has the list of shares you created on the NAS.  Or enter \\nas-ip-address in windows file explorer, and it should show you the list.

Message 6 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

Is it the folder name? e.g. Documents??

Message 7 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

Sorted. See results below:

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on \\nasname\pictures 5 times...
Iteration 1: 28.96 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 27.89 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 28.75 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 27.38 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 29.67 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W): 28.53 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on \\nasname\pictures 5 times...

Message 8 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

Ran the test again on wifi only

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on \\nasname\pictures 5 times...
Iteration 1: 9.39 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 9.08 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 8.99 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 9.01 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 9.21 MB/sec
Average (W): 9.14 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on \\nasname\pictures 5 times...

Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Crofty7 wrote:

Is it the folder name? e.g. Documents??

Yes.  Those folders are "network shares" - because they are shared over your network. That is shortened to "shares" both here and in the NAS web UI.

@Crofty7 wrote:

Average (W): 28.53 MB/sec

With a wired gigabit connection you'd normally be seeing about 100 MB/sec with an RN212.  So the powerline is limiting your performance.

Though not as good as gigabit, the powerline is still giving a decent connection (similar to what you'd get with a solid 802.11ac wifi connection).

@Crofty7 wrote:

Average (W): 9.14 MB/sec

Do you know what wifi you are using - 802.11n, 802.11ac?  2.4 ghz or 5 ghz?  Also how far away are you from the router?

If the issue is mostly folder browsing, then reorganizing the folder might help.  If you have too many photos in the folder, the browsing speed will be slower.  Creating some subfolders and moving the photos into the subfolders will speed browsing up.  I don't think that will speed up the "image coming into focus" part though.

Have you ever run a balance or a defrag on your NAS?  You do this from the volume tab (click on the settings wheel next to the volume).

Also, what firmware are you running on the NAS?

Message 10 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

It's a BT smart hub 6 but i'm not sure how to check the settings?

The wife takes thousands, and i mean thousands of photos, so the folders fill up pretty quickly. The pictures folder is sub divided into year and then into events in that year. The main issue has been that i have saved all the phone photos in one sub folder for that year. In future it will be the wifes job to divide the phone photos into the events sub folder which should ease things a bit.

I have not defragged the drive. i will do this now.

The latest firmware has been installed i think? It did it two weeks ago.

Is it better to link direct to the NAS if undertaking a spring clean (sorting phone photos out)? I have been reading up about direct connections but it looks tricky as i'm not sure how to assign static ip addresses.

I am also considering improving my wifi with purchasing an Orbi system. I would have the router linked to the smart hub and have a satellite sat next to the NAS. 

Message 11 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

Firmware is 6.9.4 Hotfix 1

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Crofty7 wrote:

I have not defragged the drive. i will do this now.

Do a balance also.

@Crofty7 wrote:

Is it better to link direct to the NAS if undertaking a spring clean (sorting phone photos out)? I have been reading up about direct connections but it looks tricky as i'm not sure how to assign static ip addresses.

There's no speed benefit in the direct connection, so I wouldn't do that (especially since you aren't certain of the procedure).  If you do it incorrectly, you'd lose access to the NAS altogether.  An OS reinstall would get it back, but it's best to avoid that scenario.

@Crofty7 wrote:

It's a BT smart hub 6 but i'm not sure how to check the settings?

I am also considering improving my wifi with purchasing an Orbi system. I would have the router linked to the smart hub and have a satellite sat next to the NAS. 

I believe the smart hub is an AC2600 router, which has a good speed. 

However, the XPS15 wifi might be 802.11n (depending on when you purchased).  There are several XPS15 models, and the design has been refreshed over time.  Identifying the XPS15 wifi card would help.  Try this:

1. Press Windows and Pause|Break, or right-click Computer and select Properties.
  2. From the left-hand menu, select Device Manager.
  3. The "Device Manager" window will open. Expand Network Adapters. If the wireless card is identified, its name will be shown. 

Note there are likely several "virtual" adapters in that list.  Anything labeled "WAN miniport" can be ignored. Your WiFi card is likely Intel or Qualcomm.

Orbi is a good way to expand your wifi coverage area.  How large is your home (number of floors, approx square meters)?  Also what is the construction (wood, concrete, brick, ...).  

Message 13 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

The properties of the wifi card reader are as follows:

Manufacturer: Broadcom
Description: Dell Wireless 1830 802.11ac
Driver version: 1.566.0.2

I have defragged and balanced.

The house is a large 4 bed detached with detached garage. Both ground floor and first floor area is 117m2 (234m2 total). The BT smart hub is located in the centre of the house (dead centre) on the ground floor, and the NAS is located in the corner of the house on the first floor. As the crow flies the NAS and the smart hub are approximatly 8.35m apart (from modem to nas; 2.4m up and 8m straight line). This is through timber stood wall and timber floor on first floor and blockwork wall on the ground floor. The house is brick/block construction. I think i'm bordering on being too close with the router and sattellite. I can't mover the router away from the modem because there is no way to make a physical conection between them both. The third sattelite would be located in the garage, approx 20m away from the satelite on the first floor. I'm hoping the signal strength will be enough to reach the garage.

After decribing all that i could just have copied and pasted the layout!!! See below plan, ignore areas below as they are wrong (first floor).

Smart hub is in hallway next to cupboard and nas is in bedroom, which is next to the bathroom, in the top right corner of the room.

Master Floorplan Image

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Crofty7 wrote:

Manufacturer: Broadcom
Description: Dell Wireless 1830 802.11ac
Driver version: 1.566.0.2

This is a 3x3 802.11ac card, so it can run much faster.  I suspect you are connecting on a 2.4 ghz channel (5 ghz won't reach as far as 2.4 ghz).

@Crofty7 wrote:

The house is a large 4 bed detached with detached garage. Both ground floor and first floor area is 117m2 (234m2 total). The BT smart hub is located in the centre of the house (dead centre) on the ground floor, and the NAS is located in the corner of the house on the first floor. As the crow flies the NAS and the smart hub are approximatly 8.35m apart (from modem to nas; 2.4m up and 8m straight line).

Our homes are similar in size, though I have a smaller third floor with a home office.

I found the RBK50 works well for me - not sure if you'd need one or two satellites for the main structure.  Two works for me, but my placement is a bit different from yours.  My router is about 1/4 of the way along the longer axis of the house on the ground floor, the satellite is placed about 1/4 of the way along the same axis (from the opposite wall) on the first floor.  I get ~200-300 megabits per second wifi speeds throughout the house - similar to what you are getting over your powerline connection now. 

There is an outdoor satellite available with Orbi.  Using powerline to reach the garage would be more cost effective.  Security is one aspect to consider though - if you have ethernet available in the garage, it does provide an easy way for someone to tap into your home network.

Message 15 of 17
Crofty7
Aspirant

Considering what you have said then i see no real point in going for the Orbi as it will not outperform my current setup enough to warrent the purchase. I attempted to use a powerline in the garage but the distance is too great, signal strength is near on non existant. I looked at the external Orbi but was put off by some reviews and it's cost.

I teather through my phone in the garage and that works fine for me, but i do burn through my data pretty quickly!!

Thanks for your help...now to raise a further cunundrum in another thread!!

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Crofty7 wrote:

Considering what you have said then i see no real point in going for the Orbi as it will not outperform my current setup enough to warrent the purchase.

A mesh extender (for instance the EX8000) is another possibility, and that would be less expensive.

But the main question here is whether you need a mesh to get the coverage you want.  If ~10 MB/sec wifi is enough for what you use it for, then you don't.

@Crofty7 wrote:

I attempted to use a powerline in the garage but the distance is too great, signal strength is near on non existant.

20m isn't that far for powerline.  But powerline generally can be hit or miss - it depends a lot on the circuit loading and wiring details  You could try a different outlet in the house.  Some powerline kits have built-in line filtering, and that can also improve performance.

There are other ways to bridge the gap with WiFi, though Netgear doesn't sell them.  Ubiquiti Nanobeam for example uses directional antennas, which can bridge the gap. But you'd need to connect them to ethernet in the house, and to an access point in the garage.  Again, the question here is whether it's worth the investment.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements