× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS204 offline...sort of

pjm2504
Follower

NAS204 offline...sort of

Yesterday I tried to save a file to a folder on my internal network to the RN204.  It asked me for a user name and password for the first time since I initially set up the shortcut on my Desktop.  When entered it said that I didn't have access to that folder.  Upon further investigation there's a total of 3 folders out of the 8 I have set up that do the same thing.  The other 5 folders will allow me to retrieve and save data. 

I then tried to access the NAS through both my phone and laptop computer(on the internal network).  Both of these devices say that my device is offline.  It's obviously not offline, since I can access some folders through my desktop.  ReadyCLOUD gives me the same response, offline. 

Why are some devices showing the NAS offline and why do I not have access to a few folders that I have always had access to?  I am the administrator and the only user, I should have access to everything.  This change happend without any changes to the NAS settings or a firmware update that I was aware of.

Thanks!

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Have you seen this bulletin on ReadyCloud? https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyCLOUD/Having-ReadyCLOUD-problems-since-3-30-17/m-p/1259697/hig...

That doesn't explain your file access issue, but you should probably start there.

Message 2 of 3
voidfunc
Aspirant

Hi, pjm2504.  Just another user here, and I don't use ReadyCLOUD, so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt.  Still, I happened to notice your post so I thought I would chime in.

Concerning being unable to access the shares on your ReadyNAS, it sounds like the samba daemon has gotten "confused" about your permissions.  It sounds weird, but this used to happen on our Pro 4 model (running the 4.x OS) from time to time.  Users would suddenly be unable to access shares, would have read-only access in shares where they should have read-write, etc.  (The problem would generally vary by user account, not by group.)  In our case, I used to address the problem by SSHing into the machine and restarting the samba daemon.  Everyone's access would go back to normal after that.

Concerning your device being reported as "offline", the ReadyNAS runs a service on itself that the admin tools communicate with to get the status of the ReadyNAS.  It sounds like the process that runs that service has become unresponsive.  (For instance, it may have hung or crashed.)  When the admin tools try to get the status of the ReadyNAS and don't get the expected response, they report that it is "offline".  Other services, such as file sharing, are run by separate, independent processes, so they can still be contacted by the programs that know how to talk to them.  This would explain why you can still use some functions of the ReadyNAS, despite it being reported as "offline".

From your description I don't think that you have SSH access to your machine, but rebooting the machine would obviously cause all of the processes to be restarted.  If your issues are just "random" problems with the processes on your machine, then rebooting should fix the problem.  (If some of the config files or parts of the OS have gotten corrupted, then you may have to take more drastic steps such as importing a backup of your server config or reinstalling the OS.)

If I was in your shoes, I would try rebooting the machine first, and then go from there.  (If you don't have backups of your data yet, be sure to backup the data from the shares that you still have read access to before doing anything else.  That way, if there is something really wrong with your machine and it doesn't come back up, you haven't lost everything.)  You should be able to gracefully shut down the machine, even if you don't have to the web admin page, by short-pressing the physical power button on the unit a couple of times.

Apologies if you already knew the things in my post, or have already tried rebooting the machine.  I thought I should post, though, just in case it might help.

Best of luck.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements