× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAs 628-Power failure

Ray2
Luminary

NAs 628-Power failure

Firmware 6.10.7.

Working flawlessly UNTIL---powered down via software to do routine maintenance on APS Power Backup----powered down ALL components to Backup so as to replace battery.

NAS 628 does NOT power up since then.

Switched power source to different location and still no signs of life at all.

This is a fairly new unit.  What next?  Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

My suggestion is don't mess with it, as it should still be under warranty.  Get an RMA from Netgear.  Messing with it could give them an excuse to not honor that warranty.

Message 2 of 13
Ray2
Luminary

Trying to contact NETGEAR through MySupport to request RMA and am after filling in their form, am continuously getting:  "Oops Something went wrong on our end. Try refreshing the page or wait a few minutes and try again"  Error 500.

I've been trying off and on for several house---tired different browsers, emptied cookies, etc etc.  Is this a common error?  Would you suggest calling?

Message 3 of 13
Ray2
Luminary

Following many attempts to create a support case number via the website and continually getting an "Error 500", I called the Business Support number and tried that way only to be hung up upon after being told by the automated system that I needed to go online and create a support number---duh!   So I spoofed the phone system and followed the menu to a non-NAS device and actually got to talk to a human being who told me that there is no longer any phone support for NAS devices and I must email my request to "readynasuppot@netgear.com" .

I did so and got a case support number emailed back to me in mere seconds!  

I may be stupid and didn't read this someplace where I should have or it is not widely known. So hopefully this post will help someone else out. 

Meanwhile now, I must await a review and hopefully an issuance of an RMA and ultimately a fix for this power failure issue.

Message 4 of 13
Ray2
Luminary

Spelling correction: "readynassupport@netgear.com"

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Ray2 wrote:

I may be stupid and didn't read this someplace where I should have or it is not widely known.

Not widely known, and it should be much easier to find.  Thx for posting!

Message 6 of 13
Ray2
Luminary

So the saga continues. Initial email from Netgear gives me a case support number and says essentially "standby while we review".

Next day, they request "proof of purchase" which I submit consisting of an Amazon receipt with all the linking product information.

Today, I get an email with a link to a Netgear page with a form to fill out essentially repeating what they already know (bear in mind this product was registered with them within a week of purchase). The one extra thing is my choice of choosing method/timing etc for the RMA. I chose the "free" choice since it is still under warranty, but need to enter a credit card as "collateral"---no problem. Submit and a message appears that I will get a follow up "email" confirming their receipt of this form.  Nada.

A while ago I get an email directly from FEDEX saying that shipping today is a replacement unit from Netgear tomorrow. Sounds good, right?  Except when I read the information carefully they are apparently sending me a Model528---NOT a Model628!!

I already sent them an email saying this is unacceptable. I'm thinking this may be the only replacement they have in stock yet?   So it goes, the state of the world today!  <sigh>

Can anyone tell me what differences there are between the 528 and the 628? Just in case I'm between a "rock and a hard place"?? 

I'll post again as the "saga" unfolds.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Ray2 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what differences there are between the 528 and the 628? Just in case I'm between a "rock and a hard place"?? 

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/ReadyNAS_RN524X_RN526X_RN528X_DS_09Dec16.pdf

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/RN626_RN628.pdf

Message 8 of 13
Ray2
Luminary

Thank you Stephen for providing the links which saved me time searching. The 528 is obviously inferior to my 628. Netgear support simply replied by saying the 628 "is out of stock", not mentioning it is likely out of production!  Haha.

I emailed back and asked if they intended the 528 to be a temporary replacement, either repairing and returning my 628 or finding one in stock at one of their other "fulfillment" <sic> centers?  That question remains unanswered.

So the 528 arrives by FedEx yesterday and I take it out of the box and busy myself with the chore of repacking the 628 for return and scheduling the FedEx pickup (ground) for tomorrow.  So far so good, right?  LOL

Now I have time to take a look at the 528 today, and I plug it in and it is DOA---Dead On Arrival !!   I again take the precaution of using other power outlet locations to make sure its not a bad outlet. (By the way, I have an older 4-bay 314 unit that works fine plugged into the same household circuitry).  Swap cords with the one provided and the one I still have from the 628 to make sure its not the power cord. Still NADA!

So I think to myself, well maybe I"m just stupid and it won't turn on unless I put some HDD's in?  So I put two brand new compatible HDD's in and still NADA!

I just emailed the "support" <sic> person and am awaiting reply. Based on past experience, that person typically doesn't reply until about 2 AM EDT.

And so the saga continues!!

I guess I should have switched to a different brand when I bought the 628 two and one-half years ago, but my two other units, the first one an Infrant finally gave up after nearly 15 years of use, and my 314 has been in service quite a while too----I should have anticipated that my luck wouldn't hold.

It's a shame on NetGear that they have given up on their NAS. <sigh> 

Message 9 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, your "luck" with your first two units is rather typical.  The Netgear NAS are, IMHO, built much more sturdily than the competition.  But, that probably results in lower profit since they need to price competitive and they aren't replaced as often.

Frankly, I don't know if I'd even send the 628 back until I got some assurance that I'd ultimately get a similar replacement or be compensated for the performance and price difference, even if the 528 had worked.

Message 10 of 13
Ray2
Luminary

Still no resolution here.  Latest support email indicates "Escalating to CCT"---without further explanation.

Does anyone know what that stands for? 

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Ray2 wrote:

Latest support email indicates "Escalating to CCT"---without further explanation.

Does anyone know what that stands for? 

I think it's "Customer Care Team".  But as far as I can tell, the escalation often isn't as smooth or as fast as it should be.  @Bigmaca got stuck when CCT instructed him to get a Pro Support Subscription, which he for some reason couldn't get.  After a week or so, he decided to resolve his inactive volume problem on his own (which fortunately he was able to do).

Maybe tag the mods from time to time, to make sure it keeps moving.  @Mark_V and @JeraldM 

Message 12 of 13
Ray2
Luminary

Update/Summary:

Back when this thread began: 628 power failure. (2 years old--5 year warranty)

Accepted RMA for 528 replacement

528 arrived DeadOnArrival--power failure.

Demurred on offer of 428 replacement.

Escalated case to Netgear CLT

Pressed for either 628 replacement or refund of full purchase price from original 628 purchase two years ago.

CLT reviewed and conceded full refund.

Returned 528 yesterday.

Await refund--told 6 to 8 weeks.

Would rather have had a working 628. <sigh, ugh>

Still have a 318 and 316 in good working order <knock on wood>

Not overly thrilled with having to look into future alternatives because I started way back when the unit was made by Infrant and had otherwise great success and use from each unit I've owned.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements