× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NTFS file permissions

core1024
Aspirant

NTFS file permissions

Hi Guys,

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus running RAIDiator 4.2.16.

I'm using windows 7.

Everything was working fine until recently.

I had an old backup disk, NTFS formatted, from a computer I no longer own.

I copied the files across to my NAS into a temporary subfolder, and then started to merge my current files with these new files, copying them from the temporary to where they belong. After a while I realised that the files I had copied across were inaccessible, with windows complaining that they weren't owned by anyone - note that the ReadyNas is essentially as it is out of the box, I've created no users or groups, the shares are as you would get if you turned a brand new one on (media & backup).

Any attempt to access the files resulted in "Access denied"; looking at the permissions etc., it appeared as though they didn't have an owner. I have attempted to add owner/access permissions, but due to the way NTFS permissions seem to work (I'm a unix person really, rather than windows) it looked like I needed to change the parent directory, since it wouldn't let me change the "access denied" directory at all in any way.

Since there was nothing wrong with the parent directory, and it wouldn't let me "reapply" the current settings, I attempted to remove permissions and the reapply them - however if you remove "everyone" from the permissions you can no longer do anything at all with the directory - I basically now have a directory on the disk that I can do nothing with (via windows).

Access via services on the ReadyNAS is still possible, but I can't do anything at all via windows. I've tried setting the permissions via the ReadyNAS frontview (shares/CIFS/advanced/Set ownership...) however that just says "done" (essentially) without doing anything.

My instinct would be to just install the enablerootssh and ssh in and fix it there, but then you see all the dire warnings about invalidating warrenties etc.

Can anyone assist please? I'm currently shaking my fists and ranting at the computer - not a good state of mind!

thanks

William
Message 1 of 7
sdouek
Guide

Re: NTFS file permissions

Read in my sig below on how to make a nas completely open. It will also show you how to change the permissions via frontview. Using ssh or windows 7 to change the permissions on the files will get you in hot water. I generally use frontview to do the changes and afterwards if I want to tweak the permission I use chmod.

I would also recommend creating a user and use that instead of admin as admin is not subject to the same restrictions as a regular user when copying files over.

Also you can use the frontview>backup via nfs or rsync and as part of the backup have the nas change the permissions of the files you copy over to the permissions of the share you are copying it to.

Yeah I know its automated stuff and you are a unix user 🙂
Message 2 of 7
core1024
Aspirant

Thanks Sdouek, I'll give that a go tomorrow, but I think I've tried all that - the CIFS advanced tab already has "nobody/nogroup" as the owner - chosing "set ownership..." and then "apply" just gives me a brief "spinny wheel" cursor thing, but it doesn't appear to change any of the underlying files.

I tried creating a "guest" account and setting everything to that and then back again, but that had no affect either (and was also way too fast for the amount of work it would have had to do to change the permissions on so many files).

regards,

William
Message 3 of 7
core1024
Aspirant

Hi,

just in case anyone else has the same problem; the only way I was able to solve this was to backup the drive to another share, using the "change ownership" option during the backup, and then rename the share, deleting the old one.

regards,

William
Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

just in case anyone else has the same problem; the only way I was able to solve this was to backup the drive to another share, using the "change ownership" option during the backup, and then rename the share, deleting the old one.

Yikes! Not an acceptible "solution". I, too, have a recently acquired Ultra4 Plus (U4+ from here on) with a similar problem. I updated to 4.2.17 before doing anything and have created a couple users and groups. I connect to CIFS shares in XP using one of those user accounts.

I've copied my files (almost 3TB) from my NV+ media folder to the U4+ media folder. Media folder options on the U4+ are the default. NV+ is still using Share access. I started a backup task to move some (pulling from the more-powerful U4+ using Remote Windows/NAS Timestamp) and moved others manually. All files and folders moved by the backup task cannot be moved, deleted, or renamed using a non-admin account. Can't add anything to folders created by backup task with non-admin account. Files and folders moved manually are fine. Still using XP and have not installed SSH access or any other easy way to confirm ownership and permissions. But "Users and Groups" shows all the space allocated to my user account and my primary group (which I find odd, since I did not use my account info anywhere in the backup task). So even if the "open" nature of the share is flawed, I should have these permissions under my own account.

Tried resetting permissions and, just liike the OP, got the spinning busy for a few seconds and it said it was done. No way it changed 3TB of files' owners and permissions in a few seconds. If there was disk access, it was so fast I didn't notice.

Though I got there in a different way, I seem to be in the same place as the OP. The feature present to fix this type of problem simply does not work as advertised.

Is there a real solution to this issue? I'm thinking of enabling root SSH and seeing what I can do there. Worst case, I reload the firmware or factory default it and start over.
Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, solved my own problem with the help of an older post I located. But first I did enable root SSH and snoop around.

For the directories I had problems with, the permissions were drwxr-xr-x root root. Similar for files. Pretty much what you would expect given the problem -- no write access for anyone but the owner.

So here's the fix: Don't use nobody and nogroup when resetting permissions. In the other post, root and root were suggested, and that's what I used. But I suspect any valid user name and group will work. Perhaps nobody and nogroup are set up as the defaults so that if you accidently hit Apply without specifying a valid user and group, nothing happens. Or maybe somethng broke in a recent firmware update. Whatever the case, open access to the files and folders was restored using this method. Through SSH, I have confirmed that all directory permissions are now drwxrwxrwx root root and files are similar.
Message 6 of 7
Shardstrat
Aspirant

Can you quickly point me to some info on how to enable SSH? I'm having the same problem.
Many thanks in advance
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements