× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NTI shadow for ReadyNas NV+?

parp
Aspirant

NTI shadow for ReadyNas NV+?

Hi, I read your article on CDP backups.

I have a ReadyNas NV+ [X-RAID]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.4

It says on the article that the NTI shadow software is on the resource CD. I had a look but could not see it to install. I did buy the ReadyNas a year or so ago and am currently running a Genie from my PC to the NAS as opposed to the NAS covering all the basis in the CDP arena.

Do I need to purchase the software seperatly or is it avaiulable for download to ReadyNas purchasers?

Thanks for your help
Message 1 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Re: NTI shadow for ReadyNas NV+?

Only the Duo and Pro come with NTI Shadow.

The NV/NV+/1100 came with either Genie or Retrospect.
Message 2 of 12
parp
Aspirant

ok thanks, can I get the shadow software, purchase it or download for free and is it compatible with this ReadyNas?
Message 3 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

You can look at the non-branded/bundled version of NTI Shadow here: http://www.ntius.com/shadow.asp
It is compatible with the ReadyNAS as well.
Message 4 of 12
parp
Aspirant

I have had a look at the link that was provided but still not sure? I have sent an email to NIT and am currentluy waiting for a response US UK etc was wondering if anyone else can confirm this.

Basically am after a backup solution that is installed on to the NAS not a PC that does the shadow copy stuff like NTI shadow4, I may be wrong but does NTI shadow 4 actually need to be installed on to a PC which then in turn backs up files to the NAS as opposed to the other way round? My current situation is.

Turn on PC. Run Genie Backup Job which deposits backup file on NAS. Turn off PC - I do not use the original backup util that came with the NAS pre installed as it did not have enough control for what I wanted to back up on the home network.

Ideally want the solution per the article on readynas.com ref CDP.
NAS Turns on, looks for PCs connected to the network and then checks to see if there are any new versions then backs them up to NAS and continuousley keeps track of versions of files etc - job done. 🙂

Any ideas?
Message 5 of 12
OzRob1
Aspirant

I've recently purchased a second hand ReadyNAS Duo. It didn't come with the resource CD. Is there any way I can get hold of a copy of NTI Shadow for the device.
Message 6 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Ask the original owner for the CD, or contact support.
Message 7 of 12
Buelligan
Aspirant

Don't bother. NTI shadow is one more unstable than a manic depressive full of Red Bull holding a granade.
Message 8 of 12
bergmann
Aspirant

Bought a ReadyNAS Pro4 these days and am missing the NTI Shadow on the Resource CD as posted by chirpa on Feb 11, 2009. Would appreciate any help on the issue since I am looking for a backup solution running directly on the ReadyNAS.

Thanks in advanse,
bergmann
Message 9 of 12
sphardy1
Apprentice

bergmann wrote:
Bought a ReadyNAS Pro4 these days and am missing the NTI Shadow on the Resource CD as posted by chirpa on Feb 11, 2009. Would appreciate any help on the issue since I am looking for a backup solution running directly on the ReadyNAS.

NTI Shadow isn't shipped with the new NAS models - see Specs tab at: http://www.netgear.com/business/product ... P4410.aspx
Included Backup Software/option

Support of Symantec® Backup Exec agent (RALUS license required)
Acronis® ABR10 Virtualization Edition and Advanced Workstation Edition (unlimited license free for 90-days with registration)
ReadyNAS Replicate Secure replication software with online unified management (single license free for 45-days with registration)
ReadyNAS Vault™ cloud-based online backup

Even if it were, Shadow is not a backup solution to run on your NAS but a client that you run on you PC to back it up to the NAS
Message 10 of 12
bergmann
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification.
Will check with rsnapshot now, which seems to suit my requirements.
Best regards, Stefan.
Message 11 of 12
something_good
Aspirant

I've recent bought ReadyNas Duo and it came with NTI Shadow 3.7.9.73 -

It backs up really well - the first time - then when it tries to do another it runs really slow and then throws up an error.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements