× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ Booting Issues with 1GB of Memory

ChrisMc73
Aspirant

NV+ Booting Issues with 1GB of Memory

Ok, so I've had two sticks of 1GB 200-PIN SODIMM 128MX64 DDR PC2700 PbFree Crucial Memory that I've tried in my NV+, both sticks seemed to boot fine the very first few times I put them in, then never again booted up.
I've ran the memory check on both sticks more than once, both were found with no errors and OK from the ReadyNAS. Of course when I put any of the 2 sticks of 256MB of memory into the ReadyNAS it boots fine.

The reason I have tried two sticks of 1GB Memory is that first one failed to work after the first boot up, tried and tried again, reseating it etc, nothing worked. After the memory checks tested ok, and it still wouldn't work, I RMA'd the stick with Crucial.
Once I got the new one in, immediately stuck it in and it booted fine, was good to go for a week or two, then just the other day I booted it down to move a bunch of my equipment, reorganized the cabinet its all in, etc, and now it won't boot again with the 1GB, boots fine with the 256MB.

Any clues what else I can do to get this working, or did I fry both sticks, and now need to RMA another?
Message 1 of 19
fbmachines
Guide

If you are running RAIDiator 4.1.9 or 4.1.10 this is a known issue (maybe not in the eyes of NTGR).

viewtopic.php?t=66897

Downgrading to 4.1.8 seems to fix the issue.
Message 2 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

fbmachines wrote:
If you are running RAIDiator 4.1.9 or 4.1.10 this is a known issue (maybe not in the eyes of NTGR).

viewtopic.php?t=66897

Downgrading to 4.1.8 seems to fix the issue.

Thanks for the tip, it appears you're right. I saw some stuff in the thread about removing disk 4 or one of the disks and it would boot up, but then could you reinsert the drive and it works with all 4 drives?
Message 3 of 19
fbmachines
Guide

ChrisMc73 wrote:
I saw some stuff in the thread about removing disk 4 or one of the disks and it would boot up, but then could you reinsert the drive and it works with all 4 drives?

In my case it would work then with all four drives but only until it the NAS restarted. Then I would be right back in the same non-booting spot.
Message 4 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

So you would boot up, with 4.1.10 and only 3 disks in place, it would come up fine, then you'd put the 4th in place and it would resync and all 4 would be running fine, until a reboot?
I'm trying to avoid downgrading for now, hoping they fix the issue, so I don't have to downgrade.
Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

ChrisMc73 wrote:
So you would boot up, with 4.1.10 and only 3 disks in place, it would come up fine, then you'd put the 4th in place and it would resync and all 4 would be running fine, until a reboot?
I'm trying to avoid downgrading for now, hoping they fix the issue, so I don't have to downgrade.
Hopefully it would resync. This is not a very safe procedure.

Downgrading is safer, though of course you should have a backup anyway. Is there an issue in 4.1.8 that makes you want to stick with 4.1.10?
Message 6 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
ChrisMc73 wrote:
Hopefully it would resync. This is not a very safe procedure.

Downgrading is safer, though of course you should have a backup anyway. Is there an issue in 4.1.8 that makes you want to stick with 4.1.10?

Nope, if you think its safer, than I should probably go down that road. I was able to get the image put on a flash drive via the steps linked to me above. I guess I was just nervous of doing a downgrade, and thought it was the more dangerous path to take.
I have all my data backed up in the cloud, if something were to happen, so I'm not that worried about that. If its as easy as putting in the flash drive, power it on, and hold till USB option comes up and then it will do its thing, thats simple.
I'm guessing its not going to remove any of my shares its, its just downgrading the firmware and not touching the data/shares/volumes etc?
Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I wouldn't use the USB method, since your NV+ will boot. USB recovery does risk corrupting the eeprom.

Better to put in the 256 MB temporarily, and install 4.1.8 via frontview. After you confirm that all is well, reinstall the 1 GB.
Message 8 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I wouldn't use the USB method, since your NV+ will boot. USB recovery does risk corrupting the eeprom.

Better to put in the 256 MB temporarily, and install 4.1.8 via frontview. After you confirm that all is well, reinstall the 1 GB.

Well this is really odd, I didn't see your message before I had already shut down, powered on and did the USB recovery, with the 4.1.8 recovery on the USB stick.
It did this thing, said successful, and came up. So I powered down, swapped out the 256MB for 1GB stick, and it came up again, fine.
I shut down to put the cover back on the NAS, then read your post, checked my firmware version its still at 4.1.10. Even after a couple of successful power downs and back up, its coming up fine with 1GB and 4.1.10.

Should I power down and put the 256MB in, then power up, and downgrade via the Frontview method, then confirm 4.1.8 is good, and reinstall the 1GB?
Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Were the disks installed when you did the USB recovery? Remember that the version of the OS saved in the flash can be different from the version on the disk.

Anyway, now that your unit is up, you can simply download the bin from http://www.readynas.com/?p=5827 and install it via frontview. There's no need to swap out the memory (that step was only there to get it to boot).

Or leave well enough alone!
Message 10 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Were the disks installed when you did the USB recovery? Remember that the version of the OS saved in the flash can be different from the version on the disk.

Anyway, now that your unit is up, you can simply download the bin from http://www.readynas.com/?p=5827 and install it via frontview. There's no need to swap out the memory (that step was only there to get it to boot).

Or leave well enough alone!

Yes the disks were installed, never removed them. So I shouldn't really leave 4.1.10 on disk but 4.1.8 on the Flash ROM should I? I should get them to be the same right?
Message 11 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

Was able to install the 4.1.8 downgrade from frontview, and everything is working fine now.
Message 12 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

Does anyone know if the RAIDiator 4.1.12 (Sparc) upgrade fixes the booting issue with 1GB of memory?
I've been on 4.1.8 since this issue hosed up my box, and I'm afraid to download and install the 4.1.12 upgrade if they didn't address this issue.
Message 13 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well some users found it worked fine for them but YMMV: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=72107

There is also a 4.1.13 beta now: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222
Message 14 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Well some users found it worked fine for them but YMMV: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=72107

There is also a 4.1.13 beta now: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222

Thanks, do you think there are enough benefits in this new build for me to risk it again? I am a Mac user, so there are some.
Its been running solid on 4.1.8 that I downgraded on when it stopped booting with 4.1.10, so I don't know what to do.
Message 15 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I reckon there's enough benefit from the new firmware to update again, but it would be wise to ensure your backup of important data is up to date first.
Message 16 of 19
maxblack
Aspirant

I too had major problems when I tried to upgrade with 1GB RAM installed. Now I am at 4.1.8 as well and RESISTING LIKE HECK the temptation to upgrade again, despite that I have since down-sized my RAM back to 256MB.

You say you are "running solid" but there are "some" benefits in the new software? You have a choice to make, though I would say it's an easy one. 😉
Message 17 of 19
ChrisMc73
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I reckon there's enough benefit from the new firmware to update again, but it would be wise to ensure your backup of important data is up to date first.

Well, do we know what caused the 4.1.10 to not work with the 1GB of RAM, was it done intentionally by Netgear?
Message 18 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It wasn't intentional. It is a bit of a mystery.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements