× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ Ethernet No Longer Working

aweissmeister
Aspirant

NV+ Ethernet No Longer Working

I have the ReadyNas NV+ since 2011. It's been great. Recently, the ethernet port has stopped working. I've tried re-connecting it to all my routher's ports, and even to my PC. The display continues to post "no network link".

I've ordered a USB to USB cable in hopes that I'll be able to connect to it that way. 

My concern is that if the USB connection doesn't work, how will I be able to get to my information? Will I be able to install these disks into a newer ReadyNas model?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @aweissmeister

Welcome to the Community!

USB to USB will not work you will have to get it connected to another NV+ or to a newer ReadyNAS model. You can purchase an older working NV+ but it would be best if you go with an OS 6 NAS.

Data can be migrated from your older NAS to a newer OS 6 model NAS. Please follow the instructions on this article and contact Support once you have done it.

If you will be purchasing a brand new NAS a 90 Day Phone Support contract is included upon purchase. You need to get the NAS registered at my.netgear.com

Note that Data recovery might be required to be purchased for your Data to be available on the new NAS.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 10
aweissmeister
Aspirant

Thank you, Marc.

I am most likely going to purchase a more up-to-date ReadyNas device. Are all the current offerings on OS6? And for clarification, if I do purchase a new OS6 compatible ReadyNas device, with the 90-day phone support cover this migration?

Message 3 of 10
mdgm
Virtuoso

@aweissmeister wrote:

I am most likely going to purchase a more up-to-date ReadyNas device.

There are alternatives to attempt data recovery like using an ordinary x86 Linux PC or using 3rd party software for Windows. Note that with the v1 (silver chassis, internal PSU) one of the disks is a dedicated parity disk so it's normal for it to be missing a partition table.

@aweissmeister wrote:

Are all the current offerings on OS6?

Every model released from 2013 onwards is an OS6 device including all current models. Current models would be e.g. RN214, RN424, RN524X, RN426, RN428, RN526X, RN528X, RN626X, RN628X. Older models such as RN104, RN314, RN316, RN516, RN716X are also OS6 units.

@aweissmeister wrote:

And for clarification, if I do purchase a new OS6 compatible ReadyNas device, with the 90-day phone support cover this migration?

No. Backing up your data regularly is your responsibility. This would be considered data recovery which last I heard was $200 USD per hour work performed (price may have changed and may vary for different regions).

Message 4 of 10
aweissmeister
Aspirant

Thank you, mdgm. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Another question. Marc had mentioned in his reply that I can connect my NV+ to another NV+. Does this infer that I can simply move my drives from my NV+ to another of the same model? Do I have that correct? 

My NV+ is a RND4000-100NAS. I see a used RND4200-100NAS. Would that work? 

Again, I appreciate all the responses. I'm looking at all available options. 

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@aweissmeister wrote:

My NV+ is a RND4000-100NAS. I see a used RND4200-100NAS. Would that work? 

Yes.  Both are NV+ v1 (a v2 would have a part number ending in -200NAS).

Recommended procedure:

• Do a factory install to a "scratch" drive that is not part of the array.  (all data on this drive will be lost).
  • Once that completes, install the same firmware as you had on the old NAS.  If you aren't sure what that firmware is, just install 4.1.16.
  • Then shutdown the NAS.  Install the old disks (in their original slots).
  • Power up.  The NAS should boot.

Message 6 of 10
aweissmeister
Aspirant

Thank you, Stephen. Again, I'm really appreciative of the help and responsiveness of the contributors in this forum. 

Message 7 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @aweissmeister

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 8 of 10
aweissmeister
Aspirant

I've been looking for used ReadyNas NV+ versions. I've come across of an NVX. Would that be an acceptable chassis?

Message 9 of 10
mdgm
Virtuoso

No. The NVX is a very different model with a different CPU architecture and RAID format. It’s a 32-bit x86 ReadyNAS. It can’t run OS6.

I wouldn’t even recommend the NVX to those with dead NVX units.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements