× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ Firmware Upgrade Failed Now Unavailable

holsen1
Aspirant

NV+ Firmware Upgrade Failed Now Unavailable

I've had my RND4000 NV+ since it was released and it's been chugging along just fine for years but I've had an ongoing issue where the original shared I set up have been available to anyone within hour home network but any new share created was asking for credentials which I was never able to figure out how to supply so while I could see the share in Frontview I couldn't access them over the network. While trying to fix the problem I decided to check for a firmware update (I was on 4.1.12) and the system discovered 4.1.14 so I chose to do a system upgrade. It hung and I got a message to the effect that there was a problem. I made a second attempt with the same result my entire system was unavailable on the network. I opened Radiator and I could see my drives and shares but nothing got my Nas back online. So I tried to manually install the 4.1.14 Firmware and got an Invalid image message on each of several attempts. So I tried to manually reinstall the previous firmware image 4.1.12 and got the same error (Invalid Image). I can still access the NAS through Frontview and I can se the share and the disk usage but nothing gets my NAS back online. I can't afford to to do a reset and wipe out my data, I've got a lifetime of software on that NAS and I cant wipe out the files or the Keys. I just did a reboot with With File System Check but no dice, I still cant access the NAS or any files except through Front view.

I'm really stuck and hope somebody can help me. Thanks

UPDATE
The Filesystem Scan completed and showed no errors BUT Now all shares are asking me for the Network credentials and nothing is working. Please help. Thanks
Message 1 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Re: NV+ Firmware Upgrade Failed Now Unavailable

Do you have a backup?
Do you have ssh enabled?
Have there been any disk errors, can you see the disk smart data?

You may have a full OS partition, with some simple ssh commands you can look at this.
First I would delete any backup job logs you may have. Don't download the system logs at this stage and don't delete them yet.
Install the ssh addon if you haven't already, then login using putty on your PC and :

df -h
df -i
Message 2 of 6
holsen1
Aspirant

I finally fixed it. It took a lot of digging to find the right posts but here it is:
http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-to-migrate-to-user-security-mode_4917.html

"With newer OS'es like Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1 and OSX Snow Leopard, the "Share" security mode featured on some older ReadyNAS devices like the NV+ is unfortunately no longer supported. The solution to the problems this causes is to migrate the ReadyNAS to "User" security mode. In "User" mode, individual user accounts are created on the NAS for each person that will access it. That user account is then granted appropriate access to shares, rather than the shares themselves being password protected. To migrate to "User" mode, 3 major steps are required:

Change Mode
Create a User for you to access the NAS
Fix permissions so that new user account has full access to the data, as before.

http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-to-migrate-to-user-security-mode_4917.html
Message 3 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Yes,
I was trying to solve your firmware issue with the advice in my post. Did you manage to upgrade the firmware?
Message 4 of 6
holsen1
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay. I got called out to a client. No, I havent solved the firmware issue and in the meantime my nas has dropped off the network again and no matter how many times I enable the CIFS service, it just resets itself to disabling CIFS. I only had access to the NAS for about 6 hours. Any idea asd to how I can get a clean firmwaqre file onto the device with wiping my data? Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OS partition was filled by the ReadyDLNA log:

# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 7.7M 6.5M 1.3M 83% /
/dev/root 7.7M 6.5M 1.3M 83% /
tmpfs 16k 0 16k 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdc1 1.9G 2.0G 2.4M 100% /
# /usr/bin/du -csh /var/log/* | grep G