× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ Just died randomly ... can't get the data off! Help!

phrozen755
Aspirant

NV+ Just died randomly ... can't get the data off! Help!

Hi There,

My faithful ReadyNAS NV+ 4210 is sadly no longer with me anymore.  It wouldn't connect one night, and I went to check on it ... nothing. Sad, sad day for sure.

Of course this gets worse, because I can't easily throw the drives in anything else and recover all of my data ... 😞

Not sure what to do, but boy I need the data on this device.  I wish I could afford a similar device just to get the data off, but alas ... I cannot. I really was not expecting the ReadyNAS to die completely like this!

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: NV+ Just died randomly ... can't get the data off! Help!

Unfortunately devices can fail at any time.

I'd like to confirm your model though.  NV+ v1 and NV+ v2 look very similar,and the labels are confusing. 

An NV+ v1

• says "ReadyNAS NV+" on the front chassis
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • might have a label that says v2 or v3 on the back or bottom

An NV+ v2

• says "ReadyNAS NV+ v2" on the front chassis
  • runs 5.3.x firmware

Let us know what you have.

Are you seeing any lights lit or hearing the fan?  If not, it's probably the power supply.  It is possible to replace it.  If you want to explore that possibility, let us know. 

Other options include

• purchasing a used NV+ and migrating your disks
  • connecting the disks to a linux PC (sata or with usb adapter/docks), and mount the array from linux
  • connecting the disks to a windows PC (sata or with usb adapter/dock) and use r-studio (~$80).  https://www.r-studio.com/Buy-Data-Recovery-Software.html
  • Purchase a new ReadyNAS and use paid Netgear Support to temporarily mount the disks so you can offload the data.
Message 2 of 7
phrozen755
Aspirant

NV+ on the front plate.

I guess I can try ebay and get a power supply, but even then ... I don't really know for sure if that's what is at fault here.

No lights, no fan, nothing.

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Is this really a V2 (external power supply) or a V1 (internal power supply)?  Labeling can be confusing because "V2" was used for two different things.

Message 4 of 7
phrozen755
Aspirant

Hey Sandshark, it's an internal power supply so an NV+ V1. Sorry!

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

If the NAS doesn't power on at all, then it's probably the power supply.  It is possible to make an adapter cable so you can use a standard ATX power supply externally to power the NAS long enough to get the data off.   But if you don't have a spare/old powewr supply lying around and have to purchase one, then perhaps that's not a solution for you since it might not be the supply.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Labeling can be confusing because "V2" was used for two different things.

Which is why I asked... Smiley Wink 

If you do decide to find a used NV+, then be very careful to get a v1.  You can't migrate your disks to a v2.  There are risks in getting a used NAS - sometimes they don't function, or are missing drive trays.  In any event, a used NV+ will be at quite old, as Netgear stopped manufacturing it in 2011.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements