× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV NIC P/N RNV1-S2-0000

idahoharleydude
Aspirant

NV NIC P/N RNV1-S2-0000

I think the network interface in my NV+ is dying. Is it replaceable?
Message 1 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: NV + NIC

No.

If you still have access to the data, back it up now, the critical data first.

Depending on how old the NV+ is, it may still be under warranty. You can open an on line case with technical support and then edit the header of your first post to add the case number.
Message 2 of 13
idahoharleydude
Aspirant

Re: NV NIC P/N RNV1-S2-0000

I'm guessing out of warranty. I bought it in 2006, before NETGEAR bought Infrant.
Message 3 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

You are correct. Do you have a current and complete backup?
Message 4 of 13
idahoharleydude
Aspirant

Not all of it. That is why I currently have it powered down.

I need to pick up a 2TB external drive and see if I can (if it doesn't drop connection in the process).

Otherwise I'll may see if I can pick up another NV and move the drives. That would work, wouldn't it? If so, does it have to be the same NV or will a different model work.
I'm using X-RAID w/4 500GB drives.
Message 5 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

That should work. If it is more than a two drive array, only an NV or NV+ will work. If it is a two drive array, a Duo would work.

Do you have any ideal what version of RAIDiator you were on? Had you upgraded to 4.1.x? or still running 3.x?
Message 6 of 13
idahoharleydude
Aspirant

RAIDiator 4.1.7

4 drive array
Message 7 of 13
idahoharleydude
Aspirant

You said I can move my existing drives to another NV or NV+.

Will a ReadyNAS X6 version A work? It has the same version of RAIDiator.
Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any Sparc ReadyNAS (ReadyNAS that runs RAIDiator 4.1.x) in a working condition with 4 or more drive bays will work. Migration would work fine provided all your disks are fine (you have a redundant array). I would ensure the NAS you migrate to is running 4.1.7 then power down, both NASes and migrate as follows: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another

Of course after powering down the X6 you should remove all disks from it and label the order of the disks.

It might be time to get your first x86 ReadyNAS and transfer the data across your network from the X6 to e.g. an Ultra or Pro.
Message 9 of 13
idahoharleydude
Aspirant

If I attach a external USB HD to the ReadyNAS, can I use the one touch backup to transfer the data from my ReadyNAS to the external drive?

I'm afraid trying to backup via windows will fail since the network connection dies on the ReadyNAS, hopefully everything else is functioning fine.

Do you know if there is a max size of drive that I can attach to it? is 1.5TB or 2TB too big?

I really don't want to have to purchase another NV just to get my data off.... I'd rather upgrade to a newer model.
Message 10 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

Have you tried removing the drives from you X6 Rev A with it off (marking them as to bay) and then moving the drives from the NV+ (again with it off) and placing them in the same respective bay in the X6 and see if it boots ok?
Message 11 of 13
idahoharleydude
Aspirant

I did not get an X6...

Has hoping to get the data of with a USB drive attached rather than buying an unpopulated NAS to transfer the drives to. The drives are maxed out and I was ready to upgrade anyways. I want to go to an x86 ReadyNAS eventually. If I have to buy an older NV now, its gonna be even longer before I can get a new model.

I have the Still haven't turned NV+ on since the NIC started flaking out. I'm pretty sure it will stay connected long enough for me to configure the job.
Message 12 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

I appologize, I was confusing this thread with another, and thought you had an old X6 (predecessor to the NV and then NV+).

Reading the manual, if you connect a large enough USB drive to the front port and then hit the backup button, it will back up the data in the backup share. You can then also configure backup to backup the other shares, but of course you have to have the NIC working to do this.

Of course the ideal situation would be if you can borrow a friend's NV/NV+ for a period of time to do the backup.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements