× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ V2 Volume expansion failed with 4x4TB WD red drives

ciarpame
Tutor

NV+ V2 Volume expansion failed with 4x4TB WD red drives

Two days ago I installed the 4th WD red 4TB (supported in HCL) on my readynas nv+ v2 where I have other three WD red 4TB (1.7 TB free of 7.2). But after 48 hours I got a "Volume expansion failed" message.
Then I made a stupid thing: I removed the new disk and I got a "Disk failure" message. Obviously, even if the volume expansion failed, now my data is spanned over all the four disk. So I shutdown the NAS, I reinserted the 4th disk and now I'm waiting for the resync to finish.

With all such back and forth, luckly all my files seems untouched.

In the meanwhile I googled and here (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2203280) I found about a 12TB limit for my NAS but the mdgm reply (another is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-NV-v2-Disk-Expansion-X-RAID2-Firmware-...) seems to suggest that such limit could be 16TB

My next moves:

1) backup
2) factory default with one disk, power off, add the three remaining disks, power on and hoping for the best.
3) if step 2 fails: factory default with one disk again, power off, add two disks and power on (at I least I'm back at my two days ago setup, without wasting an extra disk)
4) restore

Any suggestions? Is step 2 worth to try?

Or maybe there are some expanding limitations (here I read about a "growth limit": https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/NV-v2-expansion-limits/td-p/947948) so step 2 will work only with a factory default with all the four disks already in place?

Thank you for your help

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: NV+ V2 Volume expansion failed with 4x4TB WD red drives

Once you have a good backup that you've verified is good, I would install all 4 disks and reset back to factory default (complete initialise). This should build a new x-raid system on the disks, without any expansion. You may need to use Raidar to set the unit up.

I'm not sure about the limit, but it's worth trying since you have the disks ready and waiting.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Once you have a good backup that you've verified is good, I would install all 4 disks and reset back to factory default (complete initialise). This should build a new x-raid system on the disks, without any expansion. You may need to use Raidar to set the unit up.

I'm not sure about the limit, but it's worth trying since you have the disks ready and waiting.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ciarpame wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-NV-v2-Disk-Expansion-X-RAID2-Firmware-...) seems to suggest that such limit could be 16TB

Or maybe there are some expanding limitations (here I read about a "growth limit":

Your NAS has two expansion limits. 

• The volume cannot expand over 16 TiB
  • The volume cannot grow more than 8 TiB from its starting size.

Both of these limits apply to the volume capacity, not the raw disk capacity.  

With 4x4TB, the volume size is 12 TB, so the 16 TiB limit wouldn't apply.  The 8 TiB limit could apply if your initial installation used smaller disks than 4 TB. 

Message 3 of 6
ciarpame
Tutor

The 8 TiB limit could apply if your initial installation used smaller disks than 4 TB. 

At first I installed the first 4TB disk with a factory reset (previously this unit hosted 2TB disks), then I shut down the NAS ad added a couple of 4TB at the same time. So my volume started with a 4TB (non redundant) volume and then increased to 8GB.

Following your suggestions, after my summer vacations (I'm just leaving) I will try with a factory reset with all the 4 disks inserted, I will keep this thread updated.

Message 4 of 6
ciarpame
Tutor

Epilogue

Back from my summer vacation I factory resetted the unit with all the disk inserted. But one of the old disk did not pass the test, I checked it with the WD diagnostic too and I had to wait for a warranty replacement.

But I did not want to wait so i factory resetted the unit with just three disk. Then, after a few days, I received the replacement disk and I tried to expand the volume but it failed again!

So I tried with a factory reset with all the four disks, selecting flexraid-raid5 mode. And finally I was able to get the 12GB (actually 10.8) and now the NAS is resyncing the last disk.

A side note: Chrome does not work for installing add-ons, I had to use Internet Explorer (this issue is not documented or I was unable to find it) to avoid a "server error" message.

Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 6
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for confirming, sounds like you're NAS is all good now. Safari also fails installing add-ons, I had to use Firefox.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements