× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ Won't Boot… :(

glawrie
Aspirant

NV+ Won't Boot… :(

Help!

I've got an NV+ with 4x500GB Seagate Drives and 1GB memory installed, configured with XRaid format. Running Raidiator 4.1.10. I've had the unit for a long time, and until about four weeks ago it ran without problems. The drive is connected to an OS X only subnet, and used for remote file storage and Time Machine backups only. There are no additional services running, and options are chosen to facilitate use on OS X computers. In as far as it can be, it is running in low-use / vanilla configuration.

Recently the unit has stopped booting most of the time. It can be made to boot, but it is hit/miss process and takes ages. No idea what is going on, and so would value any thoughts anyone has about how I can sort it out.

Mostly, when starting the unit, it gets stuck at the Booting Please Wait … stage. The power switch light is flashing blue, but nothing else shows up (e.g. the disk drive LEDs don't light up at all). I've tried doing the 5 second hold power button to skip the volume check, but then it still gets stuck at the Please Wait … step.

I have found that removing all the drives and starting the unit to the point where it reports "No drives" error, pulling the mains lead out and reinserting the drives and starting it up with "Skip Volume Check" will allow unit to start once in a while. When the unit then starts there are no reports of problems anywhere in the Admin screens.

I have no idea what is going on, and there appears to be no easy way of finding out why the boot process is getting stuck. So I don't know what to do.

I have tried upgrading the firmware - but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks in advance for whatever insights / advice / help can be provided. I fear that if I can't fix it the whole thing is heading off to landfill which would be a big waste.
Message 1 of 2
vandermerwe
Master

Re: NV+ Won't Boot… :(

Do you have a spare drive?
If so, remove and label your existing drives and try to boot the unit with the new drive.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements