× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ from 1TB drives to 2TB. Don't want to make any mistakes!

copey
Follower

NV+ from 1TB drives to 2TB. Don't want to make any mistakes!

Currently have the NV+ with 4 x 1TB drives in and I want to upgrade to 2TB drives. I'm in X-Raid mode with the latest beta firmware for Lion support.

In an ideal world I would replace 3 disks with 2TB drives (resync between each one) and remove the final 1TB disk. Will the readynas handle this and make me a nice 4TB array?

Alternatively, as I intend to buy 4 2TB discs, 1 for my Mac Pro and 3 for the readynas, I can stick 2 in the mac and shift everything over from the nas. Then put the other 2 in the nas for a brand new blank array, shift the data off one of the mac discs, then plonk that in and let it expand.

Theres also something about 512byte sectors and 4 kb sectors I do not fully understand. I was going to use the Spinpoint F4 HD204UI off the official list which I think is 512 anyway. Does it make much difference to performance? Are they even supported on the NV+?
Message 1 of 2
fbmachines
Guide

Re: NV+ from 1TB drives to 2TB. Don't want to make any mista

copey wrote:

In an ideal world I would replace 3 disks with 2TB drives (resync between each one) and remove the final 1TB disk. Will the readynas handle this and make me a nice 4TB array?

No, you can not reduce the number of disks without starting from scatch (factory default - LOSING ALL DATA).

copey wrote:

Alternatively, as I intend to buy 4 2TB discs, 1 for my Mac Pro and 3 for the readynas, I can stick 2 in the mac and shift everything over from the nas. Then put the other 2 in the nas for a brand new blank array, shift the data off one of the mac discs, then plonk that in and let it expand.

This is what I would do. See below...

copey wrote:

Theres also something about 512byte sectors and 4 kb sectors I do not fully understand. I was going to use the Spinpoint F4 HD204UI off the official list which I think is 512 anyway. Does it make much difference to performance? Are they even supported on the NV+?

I believe the Spinpoint F4 HD204UI is an advanced disk utilizing the 4kb sectors. Meaning, the ony way for the NV+ to use them to their full potential is a factory default. So as you mentioned above, backup your data on to 1 or 2 of the F4 drives on your Mac and factory default the remaining F4 drives in the NV+. Then copy the contents from one of the Mac F4 drives to the NV+. Once finished, insert the 3rd F4 (the one you just coppied to the NV+) into the NV+.

You should be good to go after that with a 3 disk ~4TB array.

copey wrote:
Does it make much difference to performance?

From my understanding it does make about a 50% reduction in write speed.

copey wrote:
Are they even supported on the NV+?

Yep, they are on the HCL for the NV+
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements