× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ is not refreshing ip address with dhcp

petertirrell
Aspirant

NV+ is not refreshing ip address with dhcp

I have a readynas nv+ (v2 I think?) that has been working great. It's configured to get its address from dhcp; it previously had an address of 192.168.1.144. 

I recently replaced my wireless router with a different one, but the new router is configured exactly the same. All devices, both wired and wireless are an k up and running except for the readynas. After plugging it back in, it just shows an address of 192.168.168.168 on the front panel. I've shut it down, unplugged and replugged the Ethernet cable, changed cables, plugged directly into the router instead of the switch everything else is plugged into. But it won't try and get a new address, or even use the old one. 

So what can I do? I'm OK with resetting settings if it would kickstart the dhcp. But I don't want to lose any data. Why isn't replugging the network cable working? It does say it's refreshing ip address, but then keeps coming back with thedefault. I'd rather not have to monkey around with connecting a pc directly to it either if that can be avoided. 

Thanks for any help!  

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad you've identified what's going on. With network connections it only takes one device between the NAS and the router to be down or one cable to be broken for there to be problems.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you don't have a backup?

Please read this article: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

That article indicates multiple ways you can confirm which model you have.

Welcome to the Community!

Message 2 of 7
petertirrell
Aspirant

Ah, it would appear I do actually have an NV+ v1 after all after following that link.

I don't have a backup per se, on the nas is pretty much just video media. It's not crucial to backup and can be reripped, but if I can avoid that I'd rather.

Is there a reset setting that would retain the drive data?
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Would be best to do a direct connection to the NAS setting the I.P. of the NIC in your PC to one in the same range e.g. 192.168.168.100 and to see if you can login, access your files etc.

An OS Re-install would reset the network settings of the NAS, reset the admin password and install the OS over the top of itself. It would also leave the data intact. Not sure if this would fix the problem in this case and if there are other issues it may not be advisable to run this.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I suggest rebooting the router before you try mdgm's suggestions.

Message 5 of 7
petertirrell
Aspirant

So stupid me.  My setup has the wifi router, and then a switch that most of the peripherals are plugged into.  This morning I rebooted the NAS after plugging it directly into the router rather than the switch...and lo and behold it appears to have picked up the correct address and I was able to access the NAS over the LAN.

Most of my devices are wireless and I probably hadn't checked the few other wired devices other than the NAS.  I wonder if my switch died or something...the lights are still on but I'll work on troubleshooting that next.  For the time being all seems to be working on the Netgear side.  Thanks everyone!

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad you've identified what's going on. With network connections it only takes one device between the NAS and the router to be down or one cable to be broken for there to be problems.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements