× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NV+ not booting after firmware update #25355252

Moesis
Follower

NV+ not booting after firmware update #25355252

Hi guys,

I have a ReadyNAS NV and after an firmware update, I believe that to 4.1.4 the NAS never boot again. I call to Netgear Support Service and they redirect me to the forums cause the NAS is not under warranty, I known that! :wink:

I look for the files to make an bootable USB in order to write the firmware from there, actually I think that the files that I need are kernel_conf and initrd_conf as are mention on the document http://bit.ly/1SVz8eU but these are for TFTP booting, I'm not sure that are the same for USB booting.

I tried to boot from USB using the RAIDiator-4.1.4 but it seems no work, probably by unavailable files that I mention before, I try the TFTP method but doesn't work either, so I guess that I need that files. Is correct?

The 'Netgear guy' told me that I need to ask for CLI telnet commands to recover the system. He can't give me them cause only level3 have them and he isn't trained for telnet command, but I'm not sure at 100% that that was correct cause if the NAS not boot, is it connected to a network? If is connected, someone can explain me how to connect telnet and which commands are they?

At summary, I'm looking for a method to write the new firmware on my Ready NAS NV, if it were possible using a bootable USB or telnet if I can connect to the NAS thru the network. The TFTP is a method that I don't control at all. I use a Mac computer, but I can use, if were necessary a windows computer as well. (I prefer Mac that Windows, but You can't get all in this life :wink:)

I apologize about my English, I'm Spanish and probably is not so good as you need, If you need to make clearly some point, will be a pleasure try to explain it with other words.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Cayetano H. Osma.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NV+ not booting after firmware update #25355252

Boot Recovery is only useful if the copy of the firmware on the internal flash are corrupt. We should confirm this first. If the firmware on the internal flash is fine then doing boot recovery is a waste of time.

Sent you a PM.
Message 2 of 4
NYHAMMER
Aspirant

I believe I have the same problem.

Tried to update the firmware to 4.1.14.

1. First from web UI from remote.

After some time it gave the message "ERROR writing” or something like that.

I rebooted. It seems to be fine.

1. Downloaded the 4.1.14 image to my PC and tried to upload it to ReadyNas NV+. After some time it asked me to reboot in order to upgrade. Went to reboot options in Web UI, selected power down and reboot and clicked apply.

Nothing happened.

Try to reboot manually with power button. It did shut down, which took very long time comparing to the normal and never booted up again.

The symptoms are:

If I try to boot normally it displays checking quotes from 1% to 100% and while doing this it's visible in Raidar with status System starting. Then it goes to displaying only "BOOTING” on LCD with all 4 disk lights are on, activity light is off and power light slowly blinking.

If I try to boor with option "skip volume check" it shows Disk 4 sync for about an hour during which I can see it with the same status in RAIDar, with all 4 disk lights on, activity light blinking and power light slowly blinking and then ends up in the same state as with normal boot above.
And I can boot it in Tech support Mode. It will display a number I am not supposed to post here, but it is working.

I think firmware either on the disks or in the FLASH is corrupted.

So what are my options now?
I think I need to do System reinstall or USB recovery.

Which one I supposed to try first?

If it's OS reinstall what else except user/password to default and network setting will be lost from my current configuration?

The same question applies to USB recovery. What would be lost in this case?

From what I understand both methods will keep my volume, shares and data, which is my ultimate goal is.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I wouldn't try a USB recovery unless someone from Netgear suggests it.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements