× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NVX (BE) expansion - 2nd 3TB not being recognized ?

karlblomquist
Aspirant

NVX (BE) expansion - 2nd 3TB not being recognized ?

UPDATE: We crossed our fingers and rebooted the NVX this AM and it finally recognized drive 3 and is integrating it.

I didn't think a reboot was necessary for the NVX to pick up a replacement drive. Aren't these units supposed to support hot swappable drives?

Thanks, Karl

----------------------

We have 2 NVX Bus Ed units here. One was running 4x2TB drives without issue. Bought 4x3TB Hitachi for cap exp.

Updated NVX to 4.2.18 - no issues.

Replaced drive 4 with 3TB drive - went fine - system redundant again after approx 6 hours.

Replaced drive 3 with 3TB drive - RAIDar indicator stays solid yellow, as if new drive not being recognized. Tried 2 different 3TB drives. No difference.

This NVX has ~5TB data on it... so resetting it is not really a viable option.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Karl
Message 1 of 3
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: [SLVD?] NVX (BE) expansion - 2nd 3TB not being recognize

I have two NVX units, a primary (NVX BE) and backup (NVX Pioneer). The Pioneer was put in service last July with 4x1TB and the BE put into service last October. In the last several months I have expanded both by replacing two of the 1TB Seagates with 2 Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630. Starting with the Pioneer firs (backup unit) I performed the upgrade to 4.2.17 first, removed disk one, waited for the disk missing message and hot added the new disk. I waited until it had resynched, and then removed and replace disk 2. Once it was resynched, I rebooted and the volume expanded.

After the backup unit was done and gave no problems over several weeks, I repeated the process with the primary BE. You mention 5TB of data, I would certainly make sure you have a current and complete backup before going any further.

You also did not mention which Hitachi 3TB drives you are using, so I will assume you verified they are on the HCL.

When you proceed, I would certainly hot remove the old drive, make sure your LCD gives you the message that you have a missing disk. The first message will mention a dead drive, then switch to an alternating message that disk x is missing, and the volume is unprotected. I would then hot add the new drive. I would also keep an eye on the disk in bay 3 and check the smart log periodically as it certainly did not install exactly as expected.
Message 2 of 3
karlblomquist
Aspirant

Re: [SLVD?] NVX (BE) expansion - 2nd 3TB not being recognize

Thanks.

Yes we have a backup. Both our NVX drives are mirrored with NV+ drives. I fully agree - no NAS/RAID can be its own backup - no substitute for a completely separate backup drive.

Unfortunately after upgrading the 3rd drive, we now have to go to our backup. The addition of the 3rd drive rendered the shares lost... after a few reboots the NAS is not even reachable via frontview, ssh, or ping (it is getting its normal IP from DHCP when it boots).

Really frustrating, esp considering our backup is only once a week, so it looks like we'll lose 5 days e-mails, etc. Not the end of the world, but we're now looking at a LOT of time to restore the backup to this NVX once it's running again.

Yes. we are using HCL listed Hitachi 3TB drives (x 4). The existing drives are 2TB HCL listed Seagate.

This kind of failure really should not happen in something has straightforward as hot-swapping in new drives one at a time. 😞

Raised a case... 16219200. Set drive into debugmode and pointed ports to it. Hopefully Netgear support can recover this... but if not soon then I guess we'll factory reset it and start over. *sigh*
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements