× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NVX: On Boot:Checking Fs... Shutting down... (Case#16316631)

dminkovsky
Aspirant

NVX: On Boot:Checking Fs... Shutting down... (Case#16316631)

Hi everyone,

Recently shut down my NVX and can't get it to boot back up. Here's what happens.

- I press the power button. After a few seconds the LCD display shows,
- "Booting ..." , then,
- "Checking FS ...", then,
- "Shutting down ... "
- All four drive status lights--"1", "2", "3", "4"--flash, along with the power button light
- NVX shuts down

What can I do to break this cycle? Any thoughts on what's going on? I've looked around for threads on this subject, found a couple promising leads, but haven't been able to rectify this problem. The unusual thing that led to this situation was that the NVX was in the process of a shutdown when the power went out (thunderstorm) and forced it off (no UPS, ugh). But maybe there is hope?

Thank you,
Dmitry
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NVX: On boot: Checking Fs... Shutting down... Can't boot

If you're running old firmware most likely the spool script for the shutdown hasn't been deleted leaving you in a shutdown loop (at the end of the boot process the NAS executes the spool scripts). If you have SSH access and are quick enough to get in, see if you can find the /var/spool/frontview/.S99_Shutdown script. If it's still there try removing it.

Otherwise please open a tech support case (http://www.readynas.com/support) and post your case number in this thread (preferably editing the thread title i.e. the subject of the first post in this thread to include the case number). Ask for a L3 tech to remotely login to your ReadyNAS.

Once the problem has been fixed I recommend you update to the latest firmware (currently 4.2.17: http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_17_Notes).
Message 2 of 3
dminkovsky
Aspirant

Re: NVX: On boot: Checking Fs... Shutting down... Can't boot

mdgm,

Thanks for confirming what other threads seemed to suggest. Unfortunately I never enabled SSH access. And yes, unfortunately it's been a while since I've updated the firmware, since I'm rarely around this physical location and access the NAS via FTP/Rsync etc.

I will open a ticket--but I wonder--how will tech support coordinate this with me to get this timing down properly? There's only a few seconds to get into there. Anyway, I'll open a ticket and update the thread as soon as I do.

Thank you,
Dmitry
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements