× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need solid replacement for Netgear Vault

paulinde
Aspirant

Need solid replacement for Netgear Vault

Have had a disaster with utilizing the Vault since last year. It will move data for a few days or so and just stop without notice. Like the concept it can provide if it worked. They keep updating the Vault software but it never keeps running. Don't know if the problem is related to the RN2120 (which they feel is an old device) or just a Vault software problem. The 2120 has been replaced once but made no difference.

We back some user and server data via Novastor to the NAS and either on a daily or weekly send it to the Vault, or that was the plan.

My question is, what is available that will run on a RN2120 that can perform the services of Netgear Vault?

Paul
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 2 of 8
paulinde
Aspirant

Since the beginning of the year I have probably sent in over 30 copies of the log. Have paid for a service that just does not work, and have yet to hear a straight answer as to what the problem is. Any idea what it is like to try and use a service to protect our data and have it fail on just about a weekly basis?
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you want mdgm to help, he will at least need a case number to track down. Or just send him the logs 🙂

What firmware is running in your RN2120?
Message 4 of 8
paulinde
Aspirant

6.2.4 I have received 135 emails and sent 70 email since the first of the year to the Vault folks who seem to be lost in the sauce!!!!! Three different request numbers, 1342, 1520, 1549. From Netgear all I hear is that the ReadyNas Vault has nothing to do with them... sorry to hear about you luck.

So we have purchased a product to support our backups along with with off site backups but, the recommended off site service which has the ReadyNas name is far from prime time. Our last vault activities lasted from 7/3 to 7/5!

Paul
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

paulinde wrote:
Don't know if the problem is related to the RN2120 (which they feel is an old device) or just a Vault software problem.
paulinde wrote:
6.2.4l
Not sure what the vault people consider old, but I'd view a NAS launched in October 2014 as brand new. They likely are confusing it with an older NAS which used a similar model number.

paulinde wrote:
I have received 135 emails and sent 70 email since the first of the year to the Vault folks who seem to be lost in the sauce!!!!! Three different request numbers, 1342, 1520, 1549. From Netgear all I hear is that the ReadyNas Vault has nothing to do with them... sorry to hear about you luck.
Maybe someone working for Netgear will see this and properly escalate your case.

I do suggest emailing your logs to mdgm.

FWIW, I am a home user, and do my offsite disaster backups with CrashPlan.
Message 6 of 8
paulinde
Aspirant

Stephen,

Many thanks, did send the logs in.

Will CrashPlan run on the nas?

Paul
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It runs on my Pro-6 (which runs intel). Running headless isn't supported by Crashplan, but they will support Crashplan overall (they supported me last month).

There are some people who have gotten it to run on an RN102 - here's a link to one person's blog on the subject: http://blog.andrewkoebbe.com/blog/2014/ ... adynas-102 The steps would be similar on the 2120.

It is a memory hog though (due to the deduplication), and I don't think your memory can be upgraded. I ran for several years with the jvm set to 1536MB, but just recently ran into a wall and had to install more memory/increase the JVM limit.

It might be better to mount the NAS volume(s) on another server, and back up from there. They fully support that from OSX, Ubuntu, and Solaris (http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Lat ... For_Backup), and there's another unsupported procedure for Windows (http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Lat ... work_Drive).
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements