× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need to destroy volume and change RAID levels, best backup and restore strategy?

pelo88
Aspirant

Need to destroy volume and change RAID levels, best backup and restore strategy?

I have a ReadyNAS device running OS6 that was unfortunately setup for RAID 5 (the rediculousness of XRAID2's default behaviour with 6 disks) and need to change it to RAID 1+0 which I know how to do by destroying the volumne and recreating it. Of course that means losing all the shares (both the data and the share's definition). While I know how to do simple backups on the individual shares well enough so I don't lose any files (and rsync would even preserve the file level permissions I have within), what is the best backup strategy to get an exact replica of the structure of the shares (their names, descriptions, user permissions, snapshot settings, etc, etc, etc) as well as the data?

I'm hoping for a step by step to change RAID levels albeit with more detail than this as to how:

1) perform backup of volume structure

2) perform backup of data in shares (if not included above)

3) destroy volume

4) create new volume with new RAID level

5) restore volume structure

6) restore data in shares (if not included above)

I'm very confident on how to do 3 and 4 but would like more info/best practices to do 1 and 2 that makes 5 and 6 as simple and error free as possible. In the past I've done this by taking screen shots of my settings and such before the destroy.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Need to destroy volume and change RAID levels, best backup and restore strategy?

Hello pelo88,

You might want to read How do I backup my system configuration on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system? article.

Backup the data first, either to a USB disk plugged in to the NAS or to another storage on the network.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pelo88,

You might want to read How do I backup my system configuration on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system? article.

Backup the data first, either to a USB disk plugged in to the NAS or to another storage on the network.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
pelo88
Aspirant

I think this is right. We backup the data in the shares first then use the backup configuration page choosing everything. When doing the restore, use the backup configuration file first (probably reboot) then restore the data on top of that. Okay thank you!
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@pelo88 wrote:
I think this is right. We backup the data in the shares first then use the backup configuration page choosing everything. When doing the restore, use the backup configuration file first (probably reboot) then restore the data on top of that. Okay thank you!

Don't forget to uninstall your apps first (and reinstall them after you have the new volumes set up).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements