× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear ReadyNas 2120 Upgrade Issue from 6.1.6 to 6.8.0

Rafael_Luz
Aspirant

NetGear ReadyNas 2120 Upgrade Issue from 6.1.6 to 6.8.0

Hi All,

I have a problem with my storage after trying to update it from 6.1.6 to 6.8.0. I simply lost access to the admin webpage and the NAS is not pingable anymore. I don't wanna do a factory reset because I don't wanna lose any data.

I don't know if this could be the best idea.

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#R...

And this document is a little bit vague because t doesn't tell you if you have to user the same firmware that was before the update or a new firmware than the update you tried to apply. I just don't wanna make any mistake.

Can anyone try to help me?

Best regards

Rafael Luz

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: NetGear ReadyNas 2120 Upgrade Issue from 6.1.6 to 6.8.0

@Rafael_Luz wrote:

Which firmware should I use, as I don’t want to lose any data, I do prefer to make sure I am going to use the right one

I suggest following the release notes Smiley Wink

"They must first be updated to either 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x."

So try using 6.2.5 in the USB recovery.  When the NAS comes back, then upgrade to 6.5.2, and then finally 6.9.3.  I see no good reason to stop at 6.8.0.

@Rafael_Luz wrote:

Which firmware should I use, as I don’t want to lose any data

Hopefully you have a backup (and simply want to avoid the inconvenience of rebuilding the NAS and restoring the data).  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

That said, this process shouldn't be destructive.  If you want to be particularly safe, you could remove the disks (labeling them by slot), and insert a single blank disk.  After a successful USB recovery, the system would do factory install to the blank disk.  You'd then power down, restore the original disks to their original slots, and then boot up again.  The system should then install 6.2.5 onto the disks.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
bedlam1
Prodigy

You need to read the Warnings on the ReadyNAS OS V6.9.3 Release Notes: HERE

I can't over you a solution but I am sure someone else will chime in

Message 2 of 8
Rafael_Luz
Aspirant

I've read the warning before, and there was nothing related to not upgrade from 6.1.6 to 6.8.0. I've seen some that was showing the warnings so I didn't go to those upgrades..

Message 3 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

The warning has been on all Release Notes since 6.5.2, circa September 2016

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's done is done.

Yes, you'll need to use USB Boot Recovery to fix this.

Note that not all USB keys are compatible.

Your USB key should be formatted with a single FAT32 partition using the MBR partitioning scheme.

Let us know how you go with this.

Message 5 of 8
Rafael_Luz
Aspirant

Hi,

Which firmware should I use, as I don’t want to lose any data, I do prefer to make sure I am going to use the right one

Should I use the 6.1.6
Or the same I tried to update (6.8.0)?

After the restore, will I get the same config I had before? Because the network the storage is in, doesn’t have DHCP and the doc says if it doesn’t find any DHCP it gets de APIPA address which I find horrible instead of having an default IP
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Rafael_Luz wrote:

I suggest following the release notes Smiley Wink

"They must first be updated to either 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x."

So try using 6.2.5 in the USB recovery.  When the NAS comes back, then upgrade to 6.5.2, and then finally 6.9.3.  I see no good reason to stop at 6.8.0.

@Rafael_Luz wrote:

Which firmware should I use, as I don’t want to lose any data

Hopefully you have a backup (and simply want to avoid the inconvenience of rebuilding the NAS and restoring the data).  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

That said, this process shouldn't be destructive.  If you want to be particularly safe, you could remove the disks (labeling them by slot), and insert a single blank disk.  After a successful USB recovery, the system would do factory install to the blank disk.  You'd then power down, restore the original disks to their original slots, and then boot up again.  The system should then install 6.2.5 onto the disks.

Message 7 of 8
Rafael_Luz
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen,

It worked like a charm and I didn’t lose any data or configuration.
NetGear should work on those KBs better because some explanations are vague but thank Jesus it worked 🙂

Thanks for all your help man 🙂
God bless you
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements