× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear ReadyNas NV+ password requirement on each use.

StefanSaikaly
Aspirant

NetGear ReadyNas NV+ password requirement on each use.

Hello,

As the title reads, I am trying to make the NAS I have ask for a password eachtime I login to one of my shares from the file explorer, the way it is now, once logged in, it doesn't require a password anymore, it's just a one time login.
How can I make it a requirment to login eachtime I want to access the share or the NAS itself from the file explorer (not the web browser)?

Thank you.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NetGear ReadyNas NV+ password requirement on each use.

@StefanSaikaly

Welcome to the Community!

What Windows version are you using? the reason for that might be with the credentials being cached on the System. Not sure if it's safe for the policy to be edited but I think there's a way to do that.

Here is a link  you may want to check. Update: another link to check

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 9
StefanSaikaly
Aspirant

Hello Marc,

I am using Windows 10 Pro, and yes I feel like the credentials are being cached for easier usage. I found something called "Opportunistic Locking" inside the advanced settings that can be applied to the shares while configuring the CIFS. The desicription is as follows: "Opportunistic locking (oplocks) can enhance CIFS performance by allowing files residing on this ReadyNAS to be cached locally on the Windows client, eliminating network latency when files are repeatedly accessed.". 

Might this be it?

Cheers.

Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @StefanSaikaly, I'm not commenting on the oplocks, which are only relevant to smb1/cifs, to my knowledge and also not helpful in this context. But others might know more.

However, I would like to suggest a completely different approach to achieve the effect you described: Instead of using a single user account per individual to access all shares on the nas, create one user account per share instead. So, if one individual would need access to three different shares you would assign three different user accounts to that individual. Of course, this would cause more administrative work, but would be a clean approach. Whenever accessing a share you would need to apply the correct user account and its corresponding password. Using a comprehensive nomenclature would make it fairly easy to keep in mind, which user account belongs to which share. Eg Sh_a_username for share a, Sh_b_username for share b and so on.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Whenever accessing a share you would need to apply the correct user account and its corresponding password.

One problem with this is that Windows can only handle one user account per machine at a time.  If there is still a session open (and sometimes they are hidden), then this approach will fail to connect to the new share.

You could write a simple batch script that terminates any open network sessions to the NAS.  You could then click on that to essentially "log out" of the NAS.  Something like this should do it.

rem @echo off
net use * /delete /y

Perhaps save it on the desktop as CloseSessions.bat.

You'd also have to be careful not to allow Windows to save the NAS password.

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenBwrote "One problem with this is that Windows can only handle one user account per machine at a time."

Yup, you are right. I verified. Sorry for not testing beforehand. Windows again and again is able to surprise me in not supporting the obvious. Should I dare to suggest using a linux client for this, instead? Kind regards

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, you can also just log out of the Windows system when you are done.

Message 7 of 9
StefanSaikaly
Aspirant

Hello everyone,

First of all, sorry for the late reply, I am on vacation and just got access to the internet.

Anyway, regarding the situation, I used this option "Interactive Logon: Number of Previous Logins To Cache" it disables the login cache for your windows, it worked when I first activated it, but for some reason it still cached my credentials after first login to my share. 
I will keep digging into this and will update you when I find something new.

Cheers.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@StefanSaikaly wrote:

I used this option "Interactive Logon: Number of Previous Logins To Cache"

I don't think that setting does what you think it does.

First, Microsoft says that this setting is not applicable if the PC isn't in a domain.  Second, it limits the caching for logging into the Windows PC itselfnot the case where the PC is logging into another server.  If the PC were in a domain, then setting the value to 0 would prevent you from logging into the PC when there was no domain controller available (for instance if you weren't connected to a network, or if your domain controller can't be reached over the internet). https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/wiki/page.aspx?spid=ILNumPrev

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements