× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear NV+ Stuck on Booting.... Checking FS

Biggsy67
Aspirant

Netgear NV+ Stuck on Booting.... Checking FS

My NetGear NV+ lost power this morning.  It has been displaying "Booting....  Checking FS" since this morning 8:00am and now it is 3:45pm.  Status hasn't changed.  

It has 2 Disks in it and both have a solid green light on top of the them, the activity light blinks green.  The power button light blinks blue 3 times fast, then 1 longer, then 3 fast.  

Do you think it is stuck and I should try powering it down and then back up?  Or do you think it is just taking a very long time to do a File System check?    It is an older box, I've had it for years.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Biggsy67 wrote:

saw that you could skip the file system check in the hardware doc, but it said to only do that if told to by tech support...so I was afraid to try that as I don't really want to corrupt my data. 

At this point you are more likely to lose data by not skipping it.  One reason it could be taking so long is that it is trying to repair the file system - that could easily result in data loss. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Biggsy67 wrote:

Do you think it is stuck and I should try powering it down and then back up?  Or do you think it is just taking a very long time to do a File System check?    It is an older box, I've had it for years.

It's hard to say which. You probably should power it down if it hasn't finished.

If you do, there is a way to skip the volume check when you boot.  Instructions are on pages 23-24 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 2 of 7
Biggsy67
Aspirant

saw that you could skip the file system check in the hardware doc, but it said to only do that if told to by tech support...so I was afraid to try that as I don't really want to corrupt my data.  The secretary has some of it backed up over various media but hasn't been doing the full backups like I had instructed.  

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Biggsy67 wrote:

saw that you could skip the file system check in the hardware doc, but it said to only do that if told to by tech support...so I was afraid to try that as I don't really want to corrupt my data. 

At this point you are more likely to lose data by not skipping it.  One reason it could be taking so long is that it is trying to repair the file system - that could easily result in data loss. 

Message 4 of 7
Biggsy67
Aspirant

Yeah, I had been worried about that, just torn as to what is the best way to go...so thanks for the advice.  I had called Netgear support earlier today and I asked about whether I should give that a try.  I was talking to a level 2 tech and they asked their level 3 tech who said it wasn't a good idea.  I ended up paying for an 1 incident support case and put the unit into tech support mode.  They just enabled SMB so I can copy my data off and replace the 2 hard drives I have in it in a mirror, said both drives have faults in them

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 5 of 7
Biggsy67
Aspirant

After tech support finished and I had copied all the data off of the drives via SMB, I rebooted the device to see if it would boot up and it did.  Not sure what all Tech support did, but I was able to access all of the data via CIFS  and was finally able to log into the web interface.  Everything looked good status wise and only had one log entry from earlier today saying that I had more disk errors on disk 1 than previously so maybe my disk was going bad.  Other than that there were logs of improper shutdowns from putting it in Tech support mode and trying to get it to boot.  No previous logs of errors or anything, just logs of successfull backups going back to Dec. 24th...which is as far back as the logs go.  I looked at the system settings and the box to check the disk when booting up was uncheck...so maybe Tech Support did that and that is what allowed it to boot up.  Not sure, we are using it for now while keeping our backups we made from the SMB mounts and just in case we run into trouble with disks Tech support said were both going bad.  Did have an issue with a QuickBooks file running on the server, so running that from the PC hard drive for now.

Thanks for your help, I guess maybe I should't have been afraid to skip the FS check myself on boot up if that is indeed what allowed it to boot up this time...just without good backups I was worried about corrupting what data I had on there that was still good....

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Biggsy67 wrote:

just without good backups I was worried about corrupting what data I had on there that was still good....

That's a valid concern, and it is wise to be cautious.

I'm glad tech support was able to get it remounted.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements