× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nas 314 + Plex Backup Library?

pauls898
Aspirant

Netgear Nas 314 + Plex Backup Library?

Hi Folks, I've just set up a Net gear NAS 314 and added to it Plex so I can stream my music and videos to my DLNA enabled TV and to my ipad and iphone.

I've got it now all set up and working but I wondered if there was a way of making a copy of the media library that Plex creates? I can't seem to find where it stores it's media library, having set one up the first time then with a wrong click on an option I managed to wipe it off 😞 As you can imagine I wasn't at all pleased as it took me well over a day to set it up again from square one :-).

I can see where all my actual music files are that's not an issue it's where Plex stores it's media library, I read somewhere it's stored in a apps directory but it must be hidden from normal user operations?

Thanks, I'd like to back it up so if I manage to delete it again I can easily restore it back again?

Thanks
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear Nas 314 + Plex Backup Library?

It's in the hidden .apps directory on the data volume.

So /data/.apps/plexmediaserver/
Message 2 of 8
pauls898
Aspirant

Hi

I don't see these folders? I have switch PC to show hidden and system files but I still can't see any other folders other than the normal shared ones like Music, Pictures, readydrop etc? I have installed plex on the readyNAS not on a PC ?
Message 3 of 8
nsne
Virtuoso

SSH in to the unit (root/admin password) via an FTP browser with "view hidden files" (or similar) enabled.
Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

nsne wrote:
SSH in to the unit (root/admin password) via an FTP browser with "view hidden files" (or similar) enabled.
You can also use Putty on a Windows PC; and the built-in terminal program on a Mac.
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I mentioned the path I did, as you can login to \\ip.address.of.nas as the "admin" user then browse to e.g. \\ip.address.of.nas\data\.apps\plexmediaserver

Note the above assumes that your volume is called data.

If you are using SSH you can simply go to /apps/plexmediaserver
Message 6 of 8
pauls898
Aspirant

I'm sorry this is above my head 😞 What's SSH? I am using a PC not a MAC

Can I have this explained to me in simple terms,

Yes I can log on with a browser with the ip address but all I see are the shared folders? BTW I always get a RED certificate warning going in this way at this point is that normal? How can I stop that from happening?

Thanks
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

SSH stands for "secure shell". It's a linux thing. Just ignore that aspect, it doesn't apply to you.

What happens if you open Windows Explorer (e.g. "Computer"; not Internet Explorer) and enter \\nasname\data/.apps/.plexmediaserver If you are prompted for a login, use "admin" and the NAS admin password. Be careful on the slashes, the direction matters. "nasname" is a placeholder, substitute either the network name of your NAS or its IP address.

BTW the certificate error is normal. The simplest way to avoid it is to use firefox. Then you will be able to enter a "security exception" which avoids the error.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements