× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ReadyNAS 214 goes offline after 1 hour

shahrouq
Aspirant

Netgear ReadyNAS 214 goes offline after 1 hour

Hi All,

I am using netgear ReadyNAS 214 4*2 TB since Dec 2017 and all was working fine . But suddenly last month i.e August the ReadyNAS 214 is not reponding but i can ping the device and i get response too.

I am unable to access the storage drive data from Web UI and also from Network share, dont know whats happening checked the log but couldn't resolve it.

Below are some details

ReadyNAS OS version= 6.10.1

Bios Ver= 2013.10-alpine_db-1.49

Architecture: armv7l
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 4
Socket(s): 1
Model name: ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)

cheers.

Shahrouq

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS 214 goes offline after 1 hour

Are you getting into the web ui at all?  Or did you get that info via ssh?

What status is RAIDar seeing for the NAS?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads 

Perhaps post the screen shot (png format at full resolution please).

Message 2 of 13
shahrouq
Aspirant

I am not getting web ui at all, but when i unplugged and replug the Power cord it starts for almost 1 hour in that time i downloaded all the logs from it.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@shahrouq wrote:

I am not getting web ui at all, but when i unplugged and replug the Power cord it starts for almost 1 hour in that time i downloaded all the logs from it.

How did you download them?

What status is RAIDar giving you? https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 4 of 13
shahrouq
Aspirant

If you go in logs section, there is button to download all logs, from there we can download it.

Do you know any solution for the problem which is mentioned above?
Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@shahrouq wrote:
If you go in logs section, there is button to download all logs, from there we can download it.

Yes, but you said the web ui couldn't be accessed at all.

@shahrouq wrote:
Do you know any solution for the problem which is mentioned above?

I'm still trying to understand what the problem is.

Are you seeing an inactive volume on the volumes tab?

Message 6 of 13
shahrouq
Aspirant

I think your have not read the message 3 properly , I said after physically removing the power from the NAS and then again repluging , it starts and works fine for atleast 1hours in that the Nas works fine as expected but after 1 hour the web UI is not at all accessible due which my schedule back also didn't work .
Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@shahrouq wrote:
I think your have not read the message 3 properly , I said after physically removing the power from the NAS and then again repluging , it starts and works fine for atleast 1hours in that the Nas works fine as expected but after 1 hour the web UI is not at all accessible due which my schedule back also didn't work .

Thx for clarifying

This could be hardware - so it'd be good to check your warranty status (3 years for the original purchaser).  You'd get an RMA via my.netgear.com.

But it could also be something strange with the software. 

• Do you have any apps installed on the NAS? 
  • Have you installed or updated linux packages with ssh? 
  • Have you looked in system.log and kernel.log to see what was happening around the time the NAS became inaccessible?

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Ifr you have SSH access, open a session and leave TOP running to see if anything starts taking all the CPU time, and also if you lose SSH access.

Message 9 of 13
shahrouq
Aspirant

• Do you have any apps installed on the NAS? == NO (never tried also)
  • Have you installed or updated linux packages with ssh? == NO
  • Have you looked in system.log and kernel.log to see what was happening around the time the NAS became inaccessible? == Not found anything (please DM me on my mail mdshahrouq@gmail.com so that i can share my logs for further analysis)
Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@shahrouq wrote: (please DM me on my mail mdshahrouq@gmail.com so that i can share my logs for further analysis)

Best to store the log zip in cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc).  Then send a private message to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) and include a link to the logs.  You send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum tool.

They can also guide you on getting an RMA if this turns out to be the NAS hardware.

Message 11 of 13
shahrouq
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion but still i didnt got any feedback from the moderators.

I was thinking to downgrade it to 9.5 and check .

Would be fine if i do downgrade to 9.5 ver, will my data be effected from it after performing downgrade?

Please do let me know

Thank you

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Downgrading from 6.10.x down to 6.9.x or earlier isn't recommended.

If you want to try something, then maybe try powering down the NAS and remove the disks (labeling by slot).  Then power up and confirm that you can detect the NAS with RAIDar.  Wait your hour or so, and see if the NAS is still detectable.

If that works, then maybe try installing a spare disk (which would be reformatted), and see if you see the symptoms with it installed.

Both of those would help figure out if it's a hardware issue or not.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements