× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS Pro2 - Not using full capacity

dinzi
Aspirant

Netgear ReadyNAS Pro2 - Not using full capacity

As specified below, please advise.

821 GB (89%) of 913 GB used

Ch 1 : Seagate ST31000524AS [931 GB]

927 GB allocated

Ch 2 : Seagate ST31000524AS [931 GB]
927 GB allocated

Also, this isn't a newly added this, I have had 2 x 1TB Seagate drives in the ReadyNAS since day one, I just haven't looked up until now where one disk is clearly near to full capacity.

Thanks

Model: ReadyNASRNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dinzi,

What RAID configuration are you using or selected for your volume? From what I'm seeing, you're in RAID 1 where both drives are part of a single volume where they're mirrored to each other.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
dinzi
Aspirant

Appreciate the speedy response. If I go into the Volumes, Volume Settings page, this is what's stated.

Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2, 2 disks

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So the disks are mirrored. Is that what you want?

Regardless of the RAID mode used if your data is important to you then you still need backups. No important data should be stored on just the one device, whether the device is your PC, a NAS, a USB disk or something else.

Message 4 of 6
dinzi
Aspirant

I'd like to use the whole capacity of 2TB, how would I do this please?

As I've got 2 x 1TB Seagate drives and I'm running out of space now using just 1TB.

Like I mentioned I've had 2 x 1TB drives in there since day one.

Thanks
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@dinzi wrote:
I'd like to use the whole capacity of 2TB, how would I do this please?

First of all, you are using the whole capacity.  The second drive mirrors the first, which gives you protection from a single drive failure.  So the drive is not wasted, just used in a different way than you perhaps want.

Changing it on your NAS requires that you do a factory reset - which will destroy all the data and the configuration.  That is

-back up data

-remove one disk

-do a factory reset (you can do this from the web ui)

-you have a 5-minute window to launch RAIDar on a PC and select flexraid/RAID-0 for the NAS.

-after initial setup completes you'll have a C volume of 1 TB.  hot-insert the second drive and create a second "D" volume

-re-create your shares, install any add-ons

-restore data from backup.

A simpler option is to get two larger disks, and expand the RAID volume you have already.  For instance two WD30EFRX would triple your storage for ~$200 - and you'd still have RAID redundancy.

-hot-insert first drive, and wait for resync to complete

-hot insert second drive, and wait for resync to complete (there is a reboot needed partway through, after that the volume will expand).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements