× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ReadyNas 6TB WD60EFRX

MartyMcFly66
Aspirant

Netgear ReadyNas 6TB WD60EFRX

Hi,

Currently, I'm using 4x WD30EFRX 3TB harddisks in a RAID-5 config on my ReadyNas, but the volume is reaching 100% diskuse.

I've got another (Zyxel) NAS which is using 4x WD60EFRX 6TB harddisks which will be replaced with 10 TB disks.

I'm thinking of replacing the 3TB disks on the ReadyNas with the 6TB disks from the Zyxel NAS, but according to the compatibility list, the ReadyNas only supports disks up to 4TB size.

Has anyone succesfully used WD60EFRX disks on the ReadyNas NV+ V2 chassis?

Looking forward to your reply.

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Netgear ReadyNas 6TB WD60EFRX

@MartyMcFly66 wrote:

but according to the compatibility list, the ReadyNas only supports disks up to 4TB size.

I have at least one post from someone using a WD60EFRX in an NV+ v2.

Netgear hasn't updated the HCL for a very long time (they don't test new disk models on legacy NAS, and the NV+ v2 became legacy when OS 6 was launched in 2013).  

There are two limitations on volume size in your NAS.

• the maximum volume size is 16 TiB
  • a volume cannot grow more than 8 TiB from it's initial size.

The only way around these limits is to do a factory reset with the new drives in place.

If you started with 4x3TB, then you have a 9 TB volume now - so you could expand it to the full 16 TiB. 

4x6TB be too large (18 TB).  But you could use a setup of mixed sizes.  3x6TB+3TB would give you a 15 TB volume.  

The WD60EFRX should be ok.  But I would avoid the WD60EFAX - which is SMR.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@MartyMcFly66 wrote:

but according to the compatibility list, the ReadyNas only supports disks up to 4TB size.

I have at least one post from someone using a WD60EFRX in an NV+ v2.

Netgear hasn't updated the HCL for a very long time (they don't test new disk models on legacy NAS, and the NV+ v2 became legacy when OS 6 was launched in 2013).  

There are two limitations on volume size in your NAS.

• the maximum volume size is 16 TiB
  • a volume cannot grow more than 8 TiB from it's initial size.

The only way around these limits is to do a factory reset with the new drives in place.

If you started with 4x3TB, then you have a 9 TB volume now - so you could expand it to the full 16 TiB. 

4x6TB be too large (18 TB).  But you could use a setup of mixed sizes.  3x6TB+3TB would give you a 15 TB volume.  

The WD60EFRX should be ok.  But I would avoid the WD60EFAX - which is SMR.

Message 2 of 4
MartyMcFly66
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

One more question though about "...But you could use a setup of mixed sizes. 3x6TB+3TB would give you a 15 TB volume..."

I thought this configuration is not possible in a Raid-5 config in which all disks have to be the same size?

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

In true RAID5, that is true.  If you used FlexRAID and RAID5, then you have that limitation.  But if you used XRAID2, then you can have drives of different sizes.  In the case of 3x6TB + 1x3TB, the NAS will create two "layers", one RAID5 with 3TB per drive and one with the additional 3TB from each 6TB drive and then concatenate them together into one volume.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements