× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network card configurations issue

nudist
Aspirant

Network card configurations issue

I have plex server running on 6.4.0 OS server installation on my readynas 516. I noticed when it comes to IP4 network configurations I have two choices either DHCP or static IP address. On the DHP config there are no issues with the Naz connecting to the Internet. Which is necessary when you want to match your media library for Plex.
However if I set the IP address to static I don't seem to get any matching activity at all. So I'm wondering what's going on here. can anyone help ?
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Network card configurations issue

It sounds like you might have forgotten to set the DNS servers with the static address.

I recommend staying with dhcp, and reserving an address in your router.  That is more robust. For instance, if you change your router, the new one often uses a new IP address range.  With a static address, you simply can't connect.  With DHCP+address reservation, you stlll can (though you will want to re-do the reservation of course). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Network card configurations issue

It sounds like you might have forgotten to set the DNS servers with the static address.

I recommend staying with dhcp, and reserving an address in your router.  That is more robust. For instance, if you change your router, the new one often uses a new IP address range.  With a static address, you simply can't connect.  With DHCP+address reservation, you stlll can (though you will want to re-do the reservation of course). 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements