× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Networking

StephensHomes
Aspirant

Networking

How can I set up my RN212 so my team can access it offsite without using the app (WFH)?

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

If you don't want to use ReadyCloud (and, personally, I think that's a good choice for a business environment), you will want a VPN.  One way to implement that is if your router has OpenVPN built in.  I personally like ZeroTier.  The Netgear ZeroTier app is rather old, but still works.  Or, you can install a newer version via SSH.

Open VPN is especially good if you want your remote users to be able to access the whole network seamlessly, while ZeroTier is more in line with the way ReadyCloud works, where you have access only to specific devices running it.

You could just open a port to the outside world, but then you also need to implement ways to secure it.  A comprehensive VPN solution is usually the better choice.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If you don't want to use ReadyCloud (and, personally, I think that's a good choice for a business environment)

This sentence is ambiguous - to clarify, @Sandshark is suggesting that you not use ReadyCloud in a business environment. 

I agree that a VPN is easier to secure than port forwarding.  

The OneDrive and Google Drive apps on the NAS might also do the job. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements