× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Anti-Virus in 6,6.1 - How do we control it?

savek
Star

New Anti-Virus in 6,6.1 - How do we control it?

Dear Netgear,

after instaalling the new OS, the Anti-Virus app is gone as you have mentioned in other posts already but my question is , how do we control the anti-virus? Can be helpful if you at least make some documentation on how to control that thing or am I missing something ?! Of course making an app that can do that will be great ...

Let us know please? I see lot of confusion in people! 

Vlad

BR

Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For now if a virus is detected you can deal with the problem manually.

Message 2 of 15
savek
Star

could you please be more specifc ? could you please provide me with how-to ?! Is there any offical documentation somewhere online on how to manage the anti-virus manualy ?! And I am not talking about to how just delete a detected file. I would like to know how can I exclude folders from scan, how to shedule scan , how to create rules? 

Thanks

Message 3 of 15
CVU
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here: please could you provide some details of how to deal with the "new antivirus"?  Schedules, default action... There are a few setting that should be included

What if it is a false positive? Are you suggesting that we just go and delete the file?

Saying "for now... manually" does not mean anything. If you have officially deleted the addon app, wouldn´t it be wise to include it in the firmware by default, not just delete everything?

Thanks

Message 4 of 15

Some explaining on a pdf file could be apriciated for a dummy like me :).

Message 5 of 15
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi aalexandrebeta,

I really apologize about this. As of now, we have no .pdf for it.

Regards,

Message 6 of 15

I was just asking because I prefer to know that and give some files to "computer idiots" members of my family who are stuck with papers and explaining!

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

I was just asking because...

It's pretty clear that there needs to be more controls and more information on the scanning.

Message 8 of 15

So what is the ETA for a solution for that issue?

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

So what is the ETA for a solution for that issue?

I don't work for Netgear, so I have no idea what they are working on (or delivery dates).

Message 10 of 15
Jeff_howard
Aspirant

I desided to just disable it from the settings menu for now untill Netgear can get there act together.

Message 11 of 15

So did I a big disapointment

Message 12 of 15
CVU
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also decided to go back and disable (as usual) the Antivirus in my RN104. With previous firmwares everything was soo slow, but now with "firmware 6.6.1 with built-in Antivirus" it achieved a total blocking up of the NAS.

From bad to worse. Man Sad

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 13 of 15

They should optimized a bit the FW!

Message 14 of 15
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

For anyone run into the slowness issue after enabling AntiVirus in 6.6.1, here is a work-around before the beta or official firmware with the fix is available: 

1. Turn on SSH service through the Admin Page and SSH into ReadyNAS
  2. Remove or comment out the lines starting with OnAccessExcludePath in file /etc/clamav/clamd.conf, save it.
  3. Restart the clamav by running this command: systemctl restart clamav-daemon

Note that this clamd.conf configuration file will be overwritten again if re-enabling Anti-Virus, so above steps need to be re-done in that case. 

The AntiVirus used in 6.6.1 is ClamAV. You can Google on how to configure ClamAV to do scheduled scanning etc. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements