× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Drive Upgrade

tec-man
Guide

New Drive Upgrade

I have a 2 disk volume with 2x3 TB drives.  I purchased 2 WD 6TB WD60EFAX drives.  I removed one 3 TB and plugged in a new 6 TB.  It shows that the systed is degraded and the new drive does not appear.

Did I miss a step ?  Will it format the drive automatically and how ling will it take to appear ?

Paul

Message 1 of 6
tec-man
Guide

Also the drive 2 LED (associated with the new drive) is flashing

paul

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tec-man wrote:

I have a 2 disk volume with 2x3 TB drives.  I purchased 2 WD 6TB WD60EFAX drives.  I removed one 3 TB and plugged in a new 6 TB.  It shows that the systed is degraded and the new drive does not appear.

It's possible that it is dead.  Perhaps try replacing it with the other drive, and see if that behaves differently.  If it does, then return the failed drive to the seller.

Message 3 of 6
tec-man
Guide

I have tried each of 2 new drives.  Same result with either one.  The drives were sealed in packaging, and using a USB adapter my windows machine sees the drive and capacity.

Am I correct in assuming that no initialization or other prep should be required ?

BTW the firmware is 6.10.3 (current release). 

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@tec-man wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that no initialization or other prep should be required ?

If you are using XRAID, that is true.  But not if you are using FlexRAID.

But either way, you should see the drive on the volume tab.

@tec-man wrote:

I have tried each of 2 new drives.  Same result with either one.  The drives were sealed in packaging, and using a USB adapter my windows machine sees the drive and capacity.

FWIW, I just got two 2 WD80EFAX (both sealed, etc), and one looks DOA.  So it does happen.

Try testing it in the Windows PC with WD's lifeguard software.  Start with the quick test, and then run the extended test.  Usually I also run the full write test.

Message 5 of 6
tec-man
Guide

Problem solved.  After some testing using a USB adapter, problems seemed to be present.  Since both drives seemed to have a problem, I returned both (to Amazon) and purchesed replacements from another reliable computer part supplier I have used for years.  A bit more money, but seemed woth it.  Got the new drives today, plugged one in and it was immediately recognized and started to synch.

The firts set of drives were bought on Amazon.  They were shipped by a 3rd party supplier (not clear on Amazon that it was not from their supply).  They were shipped in the sealed plastic envelope, but two were placed in a USPS 10"x12" yellow envelope with only a thin layer of bubble part of the envelope.  They had aparently banged atround quite a bit in shipping and both had the dessicant pack ripped open and pulverized dessicant had dusted the drives.  I brushed and tried to clean them as much as possible.  Not sure what was the cause, but apparently both were DOA.

I was worried that I had missed something on the install, but in the end the simple swap worked when the drive is working.

paul

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements