× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Readynas models (rn312,rn314,rn516)

laserboy
Follower

New Readynas models (rn312,rn314,rn516)

http://www.ocs.ru/PressCenter/VendorNews/854/ has new products coming out, premature announcement?

(screnshot= http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/screenshot20130214at511.png)
Message 1 of 36
hoverman
Aspirant

I saw this too... I logged into our distributer site to place an order for a Pro 4 for a customer, and it is telling the Pro 4 is "Phased Out" and refers me to the 314 for about the same price.

I checked availability and they are telling me March 17. I cant find any details on this device other than the image you posted. That is a great find - Netgear is keeping this release really quiet. We are a powershift partner so I wrote to them to se if March 17 is a true date, as I would like to hold off until then to order this unit.
Message 2 of 36
kenchoy
Guide

Launch at 18-Mar-2013, with new OS, come with lots of new features.
Message 3 of 36
tarkeen
Aspirant

Do make new features http://www.netgear.de/images/Businesskatalog_201322-72706.pdf

ReadyNAS ® Desktop - more solutions, capacity and
Performance NAS with a desktop than ever
With the ReadyNAS desktop systems of the 100, 300 and 500
Series provides users with an easy-to-use solution for
Available that offers much more than just a data store.
ReadyNAS allows 100/300/500 desktop in this class so far
new capabilities for data backup and the ability to
Manage data from anywhere, including mobile devices.
Each desktop network storage system works with NETGEAR
the revolutionary ReadyNAS 6.0 operating system, in the this
Class unmatched data protection features and ease
Usability is central. With 6.0 it is ReadysNAS
e.g. possible, a newly inserted into the network device automatically
available using the cloud and set up. Even on snapshots
can be accessed via the cloud, without having an agent
to install.
In addition, the new devices to protect data not only
the appropriate RAID level, but also provide for the first time in this
Class the opportunity to use an unlimited number of snapshots to
Create. Thus there is always the possibility of the data on the
Stood restore a previous point in time, for example, if data
deleted, corrupted, or failed hardware
is. This feature ensures that you, no matter what happens, never
lose as a maximum of 1 hour of your data. This together
virus with real-time protection (scanning the contents of the letter) and
planned to request encryption of data on the system (from
ReadyNAS OS 6.1) to make it the safest ReadyNAS NAS system
its class.
The solutions of the 100 series are designed for small groups of users
(1-4 users) cut. ReadyNAS 300 and 500 are
The platform for business customers. All three product lines are working
with the same operating system. The differences lie in
performance or how many concurrent requests the system
. support
Highlights of the new systems:
• Completely new hardware with the latest generation of processors
and two times more memory than most competitors
• With X-RAID2 ™ (Automatic Volume Expansion) can in the current
Add operating capacity
• True Disaster Recovery - ReadyNAS Replicate to replicate through
the data between two ReadyNAS devices - now without
Additional license!
• Optional ReadyNAS Vault cloud backup
• "Beyond Time Machine" is the only system in the market
local and remote backup and restore from Apple computers to
one and the same local NAS - no extra charge for the Cloud
full Time Machine integration.
• Snapshots Unlimited for the first time on a desktop NAS system.
Real "Continuous Data Protection" by extensive recovery options
deleted or corrupted data.
• Multimedia: DLNA ® certified, Remote access
and mobile devices, HD photo sharing, and TiVo ® streaming
Backup support and many other server functions
and add-ons.
• 2-84 TB of shared memory for use at home and on the go
- For all PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices.
• With ReadyNAS 100 expandable via eSATA single disk, at 300
and 500 depending on the system up to 3 expansion units, each with up to
20TB
• ReadyDLNA Media Server: stream movies, photos, music - in
Home network and now also new to mobile devices
• Drop ™ Ready - to create their own "private cloud", "The
Users can access it from anywhere on his data. Files
in on PC, Mac and mobile devices across Ready Drop Folder
synchronized
Message 4 of 36
AMRivlin
Apprentice

HDMI (I hope it is 1.4 ready) and 3.1ghz i3. Yummy

I don't think it will fit in my home theater shelving.

Time to wire my house with HDMI cables 🙂
Message 5 of 36
peet1
Guide

I'm wondering if ReadyNAS 6.0 will be available for Pro 6/4/2. I'd be sad if these new features are only available on the new boxes.
Message 6 of 36
AMRivlin
Apprentice

If I was a betting man, and just so you know I am terrible at the tables, I'd guess they will eventually port back to x86 but require a format and it would prob be unsupported/beta only. I am only guessing since the i3 and 6pro are both x86 powered. But don't expect to grow usb3 or HDMI ports 🙂
Message 7 of 36
tarkeen
Aspirant

http://netgear.tonidoid.com/app/webshare/share/NETGEAR%20ReadyNAS%20Tech%20Documents/소개자료/%5BNew%5D%20ReadyNAS%20100-300-500-2120_소개_v1.0.pptx

Do look like Pro 4 run OS6 to

new rackmount are ARM now!

No based on Linux. BTRFS-based now.
Message 8 of 36
StephenB
Guru

Wish I understood more Korean.

BTRFS is a linux file system (https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page) so I don't understand your last comment.
Message 9 of 36
tarkeen
Aspirant

Do just read what pptx said. Do you thinks maybe pptx wrong?

Do look like product announces now.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6835/readynas-100-300-and-500-series-reboots-netgears-smb-nas-lineup
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-news/32055-netgear-rolls-out-all-new-readynases

Really bad news no firmware update for existing model. How then did NetGear run new OS in Pro 4? Would like to now about that.

What about client? What do say too them that have 4 year warranty left but no new feature no more firmware update?

What about 3100, 3200, 4200? Do these get new OS or do these no recommend too buy? Why no new model for these? Why makes ARM rackmount 2120 for home user? Why no model for enterprise?

Do I tell customer no buy NetGear? Very confused. Do you care about customer? NAS no future proof anymore 😞

What happen too new model in too years. Do you drop support for those user to? ReadyNAS use too have many year support after purchase. Why no more?
Message 10 of 36
desktopguy
Aspirant

Cant agree more with tarkeen.
See my post - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=70056&p=388668#p388668

The new 516 has a similar processor architecture to the Pro 6, but the Pro 6 will NOT be getting the OS upgrade.
I now have to tell all my clients (I manage close to 40 ReadyNAS devices) sorry the product I recommended and installed whilst it is still in warranty is now EOL. Netgear remarked they were bringing ReadyDrop to x86 - looks like that won't happen either!

Been dealing with ReadyNAS since the X600 back in 2006. The forums have always been helpful.
Now the betas have closed, no Netgear reps on the forums and this news, will be looking elsewhere for my NAS needs…
Message 11 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The new devices NetGear announced today include some really nice hardware additions (such as eSATA, a new hard-drive tray adding support for 2.5" drives) and come with a great new OS with lots of nice new features. They are well worth a look. My RN312 beta unit is a new favourite in my collection of ReadyNAS units.

Just because the old devices won't be getting the new OS they're not going to suddenly stop working. They're still great NAS units and NetGear will of course continue to honour the warranty on them and provide support if you run into issues on a unit under warranty (remember phone support is free for the first 90 days, after that use Online Support).
Message 12 of 36
tiranor
Aspirant

If we don't get the OS upgrade, it will really be bye bye ReadyNAS, there are things that can't be defended, and spitting on their loyal consumer's face is one of these...
Message 13 of 36
StephenB
Guru

tiranor wrote:
If we don't get the OS upgrade, it will really be bye bye ReadyNAS, there are things that can't be defended, and spitting on their loyal consumer's face is one of these...
I guess my take is different. I don't purchase anything based on futures (whether announced or just anticipated) - I bought my ReadyNAS for the features they had at the time. I plan to use them for several more years, and honestly don't think that Netgear has any obligation to back-port the new products' OS to the old platforms. I get why people would be upset over features that don't work properly (like Photos II), but I think that is different from than feeling entitled to an OS upgrade.
Message 14 of 36
tarkeen
Aspirant

But why no offer new OS for fee? $50? $100?
Message 15 of 36
tiranor
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
tiranor wrote:
I guess my take is different. I don't purchase anything based on futures (whether announced or just anticipated) - I bought my ReadyNAS for the features they had at the time. I plan to use them for several more years, and honestly don't think that Netgear has any obligation to back-port the new products' OS to the old platforms. I get why people would be upset over features that don't work properly (like Photos II), but I think that is different from than feeling entitled to an OS upgrade.

I understand, but the thing is, that they just told us not to expect any care for our NAS, with all the missing features, bugs and decrepit Debian version installed...

I bought my nas for the features and for the community behind (with add-ons, support, etc.). I only have an ultra4, but i'm feeling for those that bought a Pro6 last month, and have 5 years of warranty without any software developpement behind...
Message 16 of 36
ahpsi1
Tutor

I get why people would be upset over features that don't work properly (like Photos II), but I think that is different from than feeling entitled to an OS upgrade.

The last time I checked the following issues were posted on the board and have not been resolved:
iTunes server functionality questionable
ReadyDLNA functionality questionable
Photos II functionality questionable
ARM add-ons never materialized or made available as suggested by marketing materials
NVX filesystem corruption during filesystem expansion - multiple cases opened, no resolution or acknowledgement by Netgear
NV+ V2 filesystem performance issue with EXT3/EXT4 causing crash, documented on forum (with fix), no movement from Netgear
USB3 performance issues

I agree with your statement although I would justify concern over not receiving an OS update based on the hope the issues were going unresolved because the new OS would soon be available fixing many of the issues. Now we not only have our less than functional units but also have no assurances we will ever see them resolved. I too bought my RN based on the features on the box. Some are simply unavailable (Orb transcoding), some were fully functional and now aren't (iTunes server, though forked daapd might fix it) and some have never been quite right (ReadyDLNA).
Message 17 of 36
StephenB
Guru

I think we all agree there are bugs that need fixing, and that there have been some unwelcome stability issues in the last couple of releases.

I suspect an OS update would be a huge project, it is not just a UI rewrite (which would be massive enough).
Message 18 of 36
AMRivlin
Apprentice

I wonder if we could have access to a "Beta" unsupported OS6.X release (If we format, since it is a new FS and Linux release)

My Pro6 already runs (unsupported) 8GB of DDR2, so processor and ram should be sufficient. Uptime of 178 days.
Message 19 of 36
chirpa
Luminary

Looks like readycloud.netgear.com is also showing another model, which hasn't been announced yet.
Comparing the cartoon drawing with the rest, it looks like a 2x2.5" with SD card slot.

ReadyNAS Folio:
http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/im ... backup.png

USPTO also has this trademark on file: http://www.trademarkia.com/folio-85796299.html
Message 20 of 36
Arafel
Aspirant

At least netgear is being honest this time in saying no support for old products. Up front and honest for a change.

They said they were going to update the firmware on the ultra/pro line to 5.0 with the nicer interface when the nv/duo v2 were announced in late 2011. We all know that hasn't happened. Netgear has given up on real support for their products. I recently had a switch which had a lifetime warrantee they refused to honor. I don't recommend them anymore while they used to be my top choice.
Message 21 of 36
ihartley
Tutor

As someone who bought a 4 bay v2 2 months ago in don't mind (esp as it was only £150). Netgear have to release new products, so you have to accept hardware is old as soon as you've bought it. If it still does what you bought it for, where's the complaint?

That said, if they don't start fixing v2 bugs soon in might still be returning mine! The lack of support is very worrying!!
Message 22 of 36
AMRivlin
Apprentice

I am really torn here.
I like my Pro6 as a piece of hardware. I had 1 catastrophic crash losing/deleting my data (due to a bad addon) and NG support was somewhat helpful.

Since the day I bought it (Feb 2012) I made comments here, pushing for a new interface and modern apps like dropbox (now an addon)
In some fashion they have responded to this (with os6), but at the cost of people who already own devices (me). I don't need a new device, but would like modern features.

I think they could have used these forums to proudly introduce and leak spoilers about a new product and connect with people who actually use their devices. Instead they have missed out on a big opportunity. Instead Chirpa, Anandtech, and a few others were the only ones. (obviously due to NDA)

On that note I do understand why they aren't going to support old hardware (with new software) so many different products and limited resources would be impossible to support. Not to mention 1GB ram is low. (8gb in mine is probably perfect, but not supported) Just like the iPhone3GS can't do things the 4S/5 can.

I still think Netgear really abandoned their most enthusiastic supporters "and for that reason I'm out" (at least until the dust and price settle)
1299 for the 516 isn't unreasonable, but not a good investment for me, at this stage.
Message 23 of 36
tarkeen
Aspirant

NetGear makes manual available
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS%20OS6%20SW%20UM_13Mar2013.pdf
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_OS%206_HW_14Mar2013.pdf
Message 24 of 36
chirpa
Luminary

AMRivlin wrote:
Just like the iPhone3GS can't do things the 4S/5 can.
But the 3GS had firmware updates for long after its normal lifetime, with the exception of a few services not available (Siri, Folders, etc). You can still put iOS 6.1 on your 3GS from 2009, but you can't put ROS 6.0 on your Pro 6 from 2012 😉
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements