× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Share Folders - What Settings For PLEX?

Ripperoo
Aspirant

New Share Folders - What Settings For PLEX?

I've just updated my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus to firmware v6.10.2, due to my newer Samsung TVs not being able to see Plex.

The ReadyNAS is only used maily for serving movies, music etc around the home, with no outside world access required.

Connected to my FRITZ!Box router via a Linksys unmanaged switch, the ReadyNAS is used to serve media to 5 TVs around the home (only 2 in use at any one time) and various smartphones and tablets..

The newer ReadyNAS administrator interface is so very alien to me after using the old version for so long..

So I am setting up my folder structure as it was before in which to store my:

Backup Data

Kids Movies

Movies

Music

Music Videos

Photos

I'm just a bit confused as to what I need to enable or disable under the various tabs found in the settings for each share, such as:

Properties | Network Access | Snapshots | File Access

For the Multimedia folders above, I have the following selected/de-selected:

Properties:

Bit Rot Protectection ✘

Auto-Defrag

Size (Quota) ✘

Network Access (Security):

SMB ✔ - NFS ✔ - AFP ✘ - FTP ✘ - RSYNC ✘ - HTTP ✘ - DLNA ✔ - iTunes

Everyone: Read Only

Admin: Read/Write

Users: None

Snapshots:

Smart

Daily

Allow Snapshot ✘

File Access

Folder Owner: Admin

Folder Group: Admin

Grant Rename & Delete Privileges

Folder Owner: Read/Write

Folder Group: Read Only

The regular data folders are much the same, but without DLNA selected under Network Access

I would just like someone to point out where I may have gone wrong and what I should be selecting/deselecting.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Re: New Share Folders - What Settings For PLEX?

Just tried copying some folderrand files over as a test and the Owner is still NAS-8B-C8 despite the name being changed to ReadyNAS.

I wonder if it needs a reboot?

It's been up 1 day 7 hours and I cannot remember shutting it down after changing the Host Name.

UPDATE!

That what it was after all the fannying about I've been doing today!

Thanks for the info guys!

Gotta accept my own post as a solution now, which makes me feel like a right numpty!Smiley Indifferent

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Ripperoo wrote:

File Access

Folder Owner: Admin

Folder Group: Admin

Grant Rename & Delete Privileges

Folder Owner: Read/Write

Folder Group: Read Only

I'd set Everyone, Users, and Folder Group here to Read/Write (and only depend on Network Access to manage access).  I'd also disable NFS unless you have a linux PC that needs it.  But I don't think this is related to your problem.

Is the plex app installed on your Samsung TVs?  Are they newer than 2016? If they are older than that, you need to set "secure connections" to "preferred" in the plex server settings.

Plex has it's own DLNA server built in - if you want to use that, you should turn off DLNA in your share settings, and disable DLNA on system->settings->services.  Note you would also need to enable DLNA in the plex server settings.

Message 2 of 12
Ripperoo
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

'd set Everyone, Users, and Folder Group here to Read/Write (and only depend on Network Access to manage access).  I'd also disable NFS unless you have a linux PC that needs it.  But I don't think this is related to your problem.

Is the plex app installed on your Samsung TVs?  Are they newer than 2016? If they are older than that, you need to set "secure connections" to "preferred" in the plex server settings.

Plex has it's own DLNA server built in - if you want to use that, you should turn off DLNA in your share settings, and disable DLNA on system->settings->services.  Note you would also need to enable DLNA in the plex server settings.

I manage my content using Windows Explorer and don't have a Linux computer, so I can basically just leave SMB activated and all my devices will stream OK from the ReadyNAS?  Cool!

I have 5 Samsung TVs all with Plex on them and they range from 2013-2019, so thanks for the tip on "Secure Connections".

Is the problem you refer to, the one I mentioned in another thread?

If so, I think that issue is now resolved and was seemingly caused by one or more Firefox add-ons.

Once I removed them, the error messages have not occurred again.

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Ripperoo wrote:

I have 5 Samsung TVs all with Plex on them and they range from 2013-2019, so thanks for the tip on "Secure Connections".

Is the problem you refer to, the one I mentioned in another thread?

No, I meant to not being able to use plex with the Samsung TVs.  That was inferred from the title of your post.

@Ripperoo wrote:

I manage my content using Windows Explorer and don't have a Linux computer, so I can basically just leave SMB activated and all my devices will stream OK from the ReadyNAS? 

Well, SMB is the only file sharing protocol you need.  Streaming with Plex would either be using the proprietary plex protocol (implemented in the plex server), or DLNA (also enabled in the plex server settings).

Message 4 of 12
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Thanks for the that.

Just noticed that the folders I've copied onto the ReadyNAS already now display the owner as NAS-66-C8\Admin.

I'm guessing this is because I'd originally set the set the Folder Owner and Folder Group of the affected Shares as Admin before I copied over the first batch of files.

What do I need to do to:

1. Change ownership of the files already copied over?

2. Maintain the original ownership of Folders and Files copied over in future.

I had this issue on my ReadyNAS when it was on the the older v4 firmware, but managed to change a setting and refresh the existing files, but as I've said previously, the new interface leaves me lost.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Ripperoo wrote:

Just noticed that the folders I've copied onto the ReadyNAS already now display the owner as NAS-66-C8\Admin.

Well, yes - you did set the ownership to admin.

Why do you think this is something you need to change?

What do you want to change the ownership to?

Message 6 of 12
Ripperoo
Aspirant

I had access problems when trying to delete, rename stuff on the ReadyNAS from a different PC a few years ago and seem to remember it had something to do with the ownership of the files and folders.

I don't want to allow read/write access to all just in case any local users accidentally move, renames or deletes anything.

I know some of my questions probably seem a bit stoopid, but I'm having to relearn all this stuff after not using it for a long time and also due to the newer interface (well, new to me anyway).

I therefore am very appreciative of any and all advice.

Message 7 of 12
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Forgot to add my previous reply and cannot edit it, but I wanted to change the ownership to my PC's Name from the default NAS-8B-C8

I'm guessing there is a way to change the NAS name so it is reflected in the ownership name of files?

If so, how can I do that?

I'm guessing the editing of posts must is time-limited on the Netgear Community Forums?

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Ripperoo wrote:

Forgot to add my previous reply and cannot edit it, but I wanted to change the ownership to my PC's Name from the default NAS-8B-C8

The NAS name is there because the files are owned by a NAS account.  That's not something you can change. There's also no reason to change it.  You have full access to the files.

You can of course change the NAS name if you like.

Message 9 of 12
Ripperoo
Aspirant

When I checked I had already changed the name to................ReadyNAS.  I know, not very original. LOL

Anyhow I'm sure when I did the same on the same ReadyNAS on the old firmware (v4.***), that the Owner as shown in Windows Explorer was something like ReadyNAS/root or ReadyNAS/admin or something similar.

Maybe it was even changing root/admin/guest under File Access in the settings for each Share?

I certainly don't remember seing anything unfriendly like NAS-8B-C8/admin in the Owner column in Windows Explorer.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Ripperoo wrote:

I certainly don't remember seing anything unfriendly like NAS-8B-C8\admin in the Owner column in Windows Explorer.

NAS-8B-C8 must have been the hostname of the NAS.  If you'd changed it to ReadyNAS now, then that's what Windows should be showing you.

Message 11 of 12
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Just tried copying some folderrand files over as a test and the Owner is still NAS-8B-C8 despite the name being changed to ReadyNAS.

I wonder if it needs a reboot?

It's been up 1 day 7 hours and I cannot remember shutting it down after changing the Host Name.

UPDATE!

That what it was after all the fannying about I've been doing today!

Thanks for the info guys!

Gotta accept my own post as a solution now, which makes me feel like a right numpty!Smiley Indifferent

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements