× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New drives... how to...?

mattg2379
Aspirant

New drives... how to...?

Hi everyone. My first post here, and your help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been a proud owner of a ReadyNAS Duo for the last few years.

Until now it's been running one 500Gb drive. I finally have two 2TB drives that I want to use in the machine.
Placing the first in yesterday, it installed fine and synced, but left me with the same disk capacity as the original drive (approx. 486Gb).

My question...

I want to use the maximum space provided by the 2TB drives (hence why I bought them).
How can I transfer the data from the 500Gb to one of the 2TB drives, and then install the second 2TB drive to mirror / sync with the first?

Chances are I've done something wrong.. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 🙂
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: New drives... how to...?

If you hot-swap the 500 GB drive now with the second 2 TB drive, it should resync and expand, giving you 2 TB of storage.

However, if you installed your 500 GB drive using 4.1.6 or earlier firmware, you will not have 4K sector alignment. The RAID array will work, but will be slower than it can be. Here's a link that tells you how to determine your sector alignment: http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why ... -readynas/

Note that if you don't have it, you will need to factory default to get it. One way to achieve that:

(a) put your second 2 TB drive in a PC
(b) copy the NAS data to it.
(c) factory default the NAS
(d) copy the data back to the NAS
(e) delete the partitions on the 2nd 2 TB drive
(f) hot swap the 500 GB drive with the 2nd 2 TB drive
Message 2 of 4
mattg2379
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thank you for your detailed reply and for your time taken to post it.
One more potentially stupid question from me, if I may?

Having added the second drive (the first 2TB drive), do I need to perform any manual sync action, or will the NAS manage the mirror/sync of the first drive to the second for me?
And if I add the second 2TB drive into slot 1 (replacing the 500GB), will it automatically sync back from slot 2 to slot 1 for me?

I'm just being cautious as the 500GB drive has a lot of work data that I really cannot afford to lose and want to get this right first time.

Many thanks,

Matt
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

mattg2379 wrote:
Hi StephenB

Thank you for your detailed reply and for your time taken to post it.
One more potentially stupid question from me, if I may?

Having added the second drive (the first 2TB drive), do I need to perform any manual sync action, or will the NAS manage the mirror/sync of the first drive to the second for me?
And if I add the second 2TB drive into slot 1 (replacing the 500GB), will it automatically sync back from slot 2 to slot 1 for me?

I'm just being cautious as the 500GB drive has a lot of work data that I really cannot afford to lose and want to get this right first time.

Many thanks,

Matt
Always good to be cautious.

The general recommendation here (which I agree with) is that expanding without a backup is very risky. Normally you want to make a backup first. Even with RAID you should have a backup (http://www.readynas.com/?p=3153) End of sermon...

Your Duo should already have synced the first drive to the second (look at the volume status and the logs to be sure its fully completed. Also check the SMART stats on slot 2 to make sure the first 2 TB disk is actually healthy).

It should also resync automatically from 2 to 1 when you hot swap the second disk into it. As mentioned, the shorter procedure will not give you 4K sector alignment (unless you have it already).

Set aside the 500 GB drive, since if something goes horribly wrong you can remove BOTH of the 2 TB drives, and put the 500 GB back into slot one - and still have access to your data.

If at the end of the 2nd resync, you aren't seeing 2 TiB of space, try rebooting the Duo - usually the expansion will continue if you do that.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements