× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New readynas - issues with connectivity

brds
Aspirant

New readynas - issues with connectivity

I recently purchased a readynas duo. I also purchased two 2 TB Western Digital hard drives. I spent about 2 hours on the phone over the weekend with the netgear support team trying to get everything up and running. After creating the 4 tb volume, which took about 6 hours, the readynas was still not working. Today I did a reset and created the volume again. I went through the setup again, and now the system is working... kind of.

When I open the raidar tool, and hit the browse button, the explorer window opens up after several minutes. Then, once I'm in the NAS, each folder takes several seconds to open. When I finally got into the media folder, I tried to copy one video over (it's about 550 megs). The transfer starts fine, but after a minute or so, the transfer rate drops to zero megs/sec and I get a message saying that the nas can not be accessed. A couple minutes later, I am able to get into the NAS again, but the same thing happens again shortly thereafter.

Anybody have anything I can try?
Message 1 of 6
dbott67
Guide

Re: New readynas - issues with connectivity

How are you connecting? Wired or wireless? Are you using Vista or Windows 7?

If wireless and Vista or Windows 7, you may want to try a wired connection to verify that you get normal performance. If you do, it may be an issue with the MTU. Have a look here:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=226
Message 2 of 6
brds
Aspirant

dbott67 wrote:
How are you connecting? Wired or wireless? Are you using Vista or Windows 7?

If wireless and Vista or Windows 7, you may want to try a wired connection to verify that you get normal performance. If you do, it may be an issue with the MTU. Have a look here:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=226

I have tried it on both a wireless and wired connection from a laptop and a desktop, both running windows 7. On the laptop, I've done the steps in the link you provided. I'm about to do a reboot (as instructed) and i'll report back. Thanks for the quick reply btw.
Message 3 of 6
brds
Aspirant

It seems to be keeping a connection, but the transfer rate is hovering around 500 kb/sec. If i increase the MTU to 1490, will this help the transfer rate?
Message 4 of 6
dbott67
Guide

brds wrote:
It seems to be keeping a connection, but the transfer rate is hovering around 500 kb/sec. If i increase the MTU to 1490, will this help the transfer rate?

The fix is strictly a wireless thing and is generally best at 1430. The NAS should remain at 1500.

If this doesn't work, try reverting the wireless MTU back to default (1500) and set the MTU on the NAS to 1492.

Failing the above, your best bet is to try to eliminate all network variables and try a direct connection: http://sphardy.com/web/readynas/how-to- ... -readynas/

This will allow us to determine if the issue is with the network gear or an issue with the NAS or your PC (such as NIC drivers) or a flaky cable.
Message 5 of 6
brds
Aspirant

Well, the wireless connection eventually failed... this time it was after about 10 minutes. I tried using my desktop again and that was a no go as well. I guess I'll just have to call netgear tech support tomorrow. Thanks for all the help though 😄
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements